• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade path following M&K S150's

bass007

Hi all, it's been a while.

So I have asked this question before many years ago, what should I upgrade too???

Ok so a couple years ago I had a mad moment and bought a pair of B&W 802D for Hifi use only, to cut a long story short my room was way too small and perfectly square so it was a nightmare, the bass was hugely out of control so I got rid of them. Although I did try them just for a few hours on my AV system using the M&K as a centre it just sounded wrong, bass was not a prob, but just did not gel. I didn't have the amps I have now, and I had no Bass traps

What I'm looking for is similar slam and excitement the M&K's give but bigger, more weight and slam in the dialogue, but more finesse than the M&K, not sure how to explain properly.

My current AV system: Original M&K S150's sitting on Partington Super Dreadnought's stands (filled) and M&K Column 39 Surrounds, Pioneer LX82 as a processor and 3 sets of Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300 Power Amps powering all the speakers, Velodyne DD10 Sub, Avid ASC Speaker cables and Avid SCT Black Int's all round, and Merlin Dragon power cables all round. My room although small,has been treated with almost 10 Auralex Lenrd bass traps.

Now although I still have a small room, more of a rectangle now, i'm looking for a major upgrade, I'm considering a demo of the either the B&W 805D and the HTM2D centre (this is a huge centre)

I would appreciate any suggestions or perhaps what upgrade paths ex owner's of the S150's have taken, and can honestly say that it was an upgrade.

Last edited:

Steve413

Distinguished Member
The new MK150MK2.

Same looking speaker, but with new Pro Tweeters, Mids and crossovers.

Massive sonic upgrade from original 150's.

Ashmanuk

bass007 said:
Hi all, it's been a while.

So I have asked this question before many years ago, what should I upgrade too???

Ok so a couple years ago I had a mad moment and bought a pair of B&W 802D for Hifi use only, to cut a long story short my room was way too small and perfectly square so it was a nightmare, the bass was hugely out of control so I got rid of them. Although I did try them just for a few hours on my AV system using the M&K as a centre it just sounded wrong, bass was not a prob, but just did not gel. I didn't have the amps I have now, and I had no Bass traps

what I'm looking for is similar slam and excitement the M&K's give but bigger and more weight and slam in the dialogue.

My current AV system: Original M&K S150's sitting on Partington Super Dreadnought's stands (filled) and M&K Column 39 Surrounds, Pioneer LX82 as a processor and 3 sets of Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300 Power Amps powering all the speakers, Velodyne DD10 Sub, Avid ASC Speaker cables and Avid SCT Black Int's all round, and Merlin Dragon power cables all round. My room although small,has been treated with almost 10 Auralex Lenrd bass traps.

Now although I still have a small room, more of a rectangle now, i'm looking for a major upgrade, I'm considering a demo of the either the B&W 805D and the HTM2D centre (this is a huge centre)

I would appreciate any suggestions or perhaps what upgrade paths ex owner's of the S150's have taken, and can honestly say that it was an upgrade.

Hi bass007'

I had my Revel F32 & C32 speakers for about 5 years and I thought wow can't get better than this, the detail was I thought amazing BUT I now have the MK s150 mkii for LCR and they have blown me away with what they can do.
I cant express enough on how good these are for music the new pro tweeters on these mkii are really special, now your speakers (mk1) have always been amazing for films but music was for me just a bit sterile lacking in emotion.

Problem for you is you may be bored of your speakers and looking for something new but I would check out the new mkii and the active version is meant to be even better :-0
You have a great system, I like your amps ;)

bass007

Hi,

I should have mentioned speakers will purely perform AV duties I have a separate system running alongs side my AV, long story I decided a long time ago that to get the best of both worlds two completely separate systems. My lounge looks like a Hi Fi shop :).

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Ok so a couple years ago I had a mad moment and bought a pair of B&W 802D for Hifi use only, to cut a long story short my room was way too small and perfectly square so it was a nightmare, the bass was hugely out of control so I got rid of them. Although I did try them just for a few hours on my AV system using the M&K as a centre it just sounded wrong, bass was not a prob, but just did not gel.
It does take a bit of work to get an AV system based on hi-fi speakers to work properly. Sometimes, the room just won't allow it, regardless of what you do. Ken Kreisel's speakers have always been designed to work in any room due to their smaller, sealed nature.

The only thing when making the transition from hi-fi speakers to dedicated AV speakers is to give enough time for your ears to adjust. They do sound quite different, and it helps to understand why they do what they do, then you can appricate what they do right. Then there's no turning back :)

What I'm looking for is similar slam and excitement the M&K's give but bigger, more weight and slam in the dialogue, but more finesse than the M&K, not sure how to explain properly.
When I had my old S150's, I once turned off the sub to see what music sounded like without it so that I could listen to music late at night. It didn't sound good. Quite thin and flat. Now that I have the Ken Kreisel Quattro Q125's at home, I tried the same thing. Huge difference. They didn't sound thin even though there was nothing below 80Hz (as with the S150's), and I was quite stunned as to how good a satellite speaker could sound without a sub! I'm guessing this is partly down to a new version of Ken's pro tweeter that use metal faceplates for cooling rather than plastic. These just seem to be more comfortable down to 80Hz than the S150's were, which greatly helps them blending in with the sub, and voices sound more natural too. It is slightly puzzling as to why they're better in the midrange though as the Q125's are roughly a third of the size! This greatly helps them blending in with the sub, and voices sound more natural too.

As it stands, the Q125's are an upgrade over the S150's in my opinion, and it remains to see how good Ken's direct replacement for the S150 will be when they appear on the market, which should be later this year.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
lets not try to confuse the OP with the original M&K S150`s that he`s already got and compare them to the new KK offerings

its the comparision between the new KK ones and the MK S150 mk2 THX Ultra 2`s that he may be interested in

if anyone wants to bring some along i`d welcome it :smashin:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
I'm comparing them to the original S150 THX Ultra that he already has, seeing as he's looking for an upgrade, so I'm not trying to confuse him - that's not my style.

And likewise, if the OP wants to hear his against the new Ken Kreisel speakers, he's more than welcome to bring them along for a demo/comparison.

Last edited:

bass007

I would love to come and compare but I live in London, a bit of a trek.

Regarding the Q125 I've only learnt of their existence today. So been reading up all morning.

Regarding my requirements, while I'm no expert I want the dialogue to have more weight and substance, while having the ability to reveal the textures in the human voice if you know what I mean.

I love the my M&K's don't get me wrong, and I have only once heard something within reason financially that impressed me and it was once of the large Ariel Acoustics centre channels being drive with Lexicon's top power amps, and a Tag Processor,which by the way I owned too at some point ( fantastic). Problem with the AR is it looks real ugly and there's no way she would allow that in the lounge.

So just to summarise:

1. Love the M&K sound
2. I want the dialogue to have much more weight and authority and textures
3. Space I can accommodate about 1m wide height not an issue

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
if you love the original M&K 150`s you will really love the new MK2 THX Ultra 2`s

they are quite a step up in performance from the old KK designed ones

demo both and let your ears decide for you

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Yes I should demo them but i'm just not convinced that they will give a big sound considering their size.

if used with a good sub they will, you really should take a listen to the new ones and hold onto the seat whilst doing so :D

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Regarding my requirements, while I'm no expert I want the dialogue to have more weight and substance, while having the ability to reveal the textures in the human voice if you know what I mean.
If you're after the bassy warmth in voices that you get with hi-fi centre speakers, you may be barking up the wrong tree - while the voices sound natural on the KK's (and they're better now than ever before), there's no 'fake' excessive warmth, so with the KK's you'll get plenty of detailed dialogue. Having said that, you can tweak the sound to what you like with a processor's onboard EQ, but they're best left flat. The more bass you add, the more detail you suppress, which is why ported speakers are generally a bad idea, but it may just be the sound you like.

Last edited:

jacked

I love the my M&K's don't get me wrong, and I have only once heard something within reason financially that impressed me and it was once of the large Ariel Acoustics centre channels being drive with Lexicon's top power amps, and a Tag Processor,which by the way I owned too at some point ( fantastic). Problem with the AR is it looks real ugly and there's no way she would allow that in the lounge.

So just to summarise:

1. Love the M&K sound
2. I want the dialogue to have much more weight and authority and textures
3. Space I can accommodate about 1m wide height not an issue

The Aerial Acoustics CC3B is an incredible centre speaker.

I have seen a review somewhere of an upgrade from M&K speakers to Aerial Acoustics.
The CC3 centre was bought first and still used with L&R S150`s, by all accounts this was a stunning combination.

CC3B Centre

I wouldn`t class it as ugly though. Big yes, but not ugly. :)

Dave

Ashmanuk

Looking more into your system I would say adding or buying a bigger better sub and having Audyessy xt32 would transform your system.

I swear by Audyessy I think it's the best room correction system bar (room perfect)

Now for the issue of centre channel I run two subs and they are very good and with the aid of XT32 the voicing of the centre is rich, highly detailed and open, there are films in my collection that the male voice is so real deep with lots of energy have to say its quite frightening ;)

Sometimes it's not so obvious the upgrade path.

bass007

Looking more into your system I would say adding or buying a bigger better sub and having Audyessy xt32 would transform your system.

I swear by Audyessy I think it's the best room correction system bar (room perfect)

Now for the issue of centre channel I run two subs and they are very good and with the aid of XT32 the voicing of the centre is rich, highly detailed and open, there are films in my collection that the male voice is so real deep with lots of energy have to say its quite frightening ;)

Sometimes it's not so obvious the upgrade path.

I will look into this, problem is I live in a small flat, two subs in my room I may get an ASBO

I'm in North London if you want to have a listen to my MK S150MKII's. Big step up in performance over the MKI's.

Thank you, I may take you up on that offer perhaps next month.

Ashmanuk

It's been a frustrating time on the forums lately and then I read things like this and it makes happy again ;-)

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ashmanuk said:
It's been a frustrating time on the forums lately and then I read things like this and it makes happy again ;-)

Hey Asmanuk,

Thank you. The forums have been very frustrating lately, same old faces!

My view is, I love this damn expensive hobby. I have done so for 20 years,since the days of Laser disc. It is a true passion. I love to be a nerd with like minded people, my wife's quote by the way so no offence to any, and if I can help anyone in any way on this forum I will.

I have received lots of help and advice from various forum members and I have also become friends with a few.

I wish that there was less tit for tat and "my product is better than your product" God. They are all different and achieve different things. From whether you have a £600 system to a £200,000 system we are all here to help, give our opinions and share our findings.

Phew rant over ha ha.

Are you after dedicated AV speakers? I would be considering some high end Hi-Fi Speakers to double up for av duty.

I have some Proac Response 3.8's which are old but sound great with music and home cinema. They have slam and warmth. I would look at some of the newer Proac's. A bit of a mismatch but I use a kef ref 200c as the centre which does a good job on the dialogue but i'm on the lookout for a 204c.

I also own some S150p's which also sound great but are bettered by the Proacs.

Kudo's on the 3 Nuvistas but aren't they overkill on the surrounds?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
If you really want a major step up in performance I would seriously consider demoing some of the larger active Genelecs. They come up second hand from time to time and are simply superb for movies and music. They aren't everyone's bag in the looks dept but moving to actives is a whole other level of performance in my opinion.

And no I don't own any so have no particular axe to grind on the subject but have lived with some jolly large ones for a while as well as M&K S150s. :)

There are a few threads on actives and Genelecs in particular so worth a search, probably best wear your beer goggles for the best first impression ;).

Adam

Edit: oops I just saw your comment about SWMBO lol

Last edited:

s_inman

Without wanting to sound like I'm jumping on Adams band wagon... Having heard both the MK2 S-150's (both active and passive) I would strongly suggest having a listen to some Genelec's :smashin: if you can live with the looks - I happen to like them - you won't be disappointed.

hoppaz

If you really want a major step up in performance I would seriously consider demoing some of the larger active Genelecs. They come up second hand from time to time and are simply superb for movies and music. They aren't everyone's bag in the looks dept but moving to actives is a whole other level of performance in my opinion.

And no I don't own any so have no particular axe to grind on the subject but have lived with some jolly large ones for a while as well as M&K S150s. :)

There are a few threads on actives and Genelecs in particular so worth a search, probably best wear your beer goggles for the best first impression ;).

Adam

Edit: oops I just saw your comment about SWMBO lol

I would be interested in hearing the thought process/reasoning for recommending them Adam?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom