Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrade path dilema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jackam, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an old Sony STR-DB 930 to power my center and rears, and pre-out the fronts into my Musical Fidelity A300 'proper' amp. The center is noticeably worse quality than my LR fronts, so should I get another MF mono / bridged stereo amp and pre-out the center as well, or drop the Sony and move into the modern era? Thanks...

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It depends how much budget you have and if you would consider buying a monoblock/poweramp just throwing good money after bad. I assume all your front 3 speakers are the same brand and from the same/close catagory eg. not having Kef reference fronts with a Kef cresta front.:nono:

3. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fronts (L/C/R) are from the same Sonus Faber family.
    I was thinking about £500 for an MF amp 2/hand. Probably just an A3 integrated using just one channel. The question is, should I invest a little more, and get a new £800 AV receiver, and forget about the MF center amp? Are todays £800 receivers much better than £400 receivers 5 years ago? Thats two questions...thanks.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes I would say that todays amps are much better than 5 year old amps. See if you can get a few demo's of the usual suspects like:
    Marantz sr7500
    Yamaha rxv 1500/2500
    Denon 3805
    Onkyo 702 (if you can find one)
    Pioneer 1014i/2014i/ax5i
    Arcam avr250