1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade ?? Or Wait And Buy New

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by HAILOS, Jun 28, 2005.

1. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Present system, ATHLON XP2600,512MB RAM, 9700 PRO.

Does a good job at present, but not on the highest settings, and newer, upcomming games need a bit more power to fully enjoy....

Worth upgrading individual components, esp graphics, or save the money, and just get a whole new system a few more months down the line ??

Splashing out on a new graphics card, still limited by the CPU ?? by the time I spend money on the 'bottle necks' perhaps a new unit isn't much more, and perhaps more future proof ??

Any opinions, will be appreciated......

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Im in exactly the same place. To do the upgrade to A64 is approx £460:
    A64 3000+ £100
    abit MB £125 ish
    PCIE Graphics card £190+
    Danger Den water block £40 ish

With AMD's roadmap sighting a socket change next year as well and the promise of the new ATI card coming out int he next few months so the present range should be shuffled down the range and therefore price :smashin:

What about a little overclocking then Halios?? especially with your processor :devil: My mobile 2500+ happily does 2.3 gig(230 FSB) @1.63 volts and over 2.5 gig with 1.85 volts :D Goes a way to evening the balance.

3. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    Thanks for a reply !! :thumbsup:
    Yep, I came up with about £400-£500 as a figure myself...
    But thing is, for not much more money, i can get a whole new base unit anyway, which itself will be more future proof than my present system after any upgrade.

Also, theres an outside chance of me selling my present unit on to a friend in the near future, and the money I could get for it, plus just a few hunded, will get a very good spec replacement... :smashin:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Does anything run slowly?

My 2.5 athlon xp and 9800pro with 1gig of ram runs everything pretty well, not at max res or settings but still plays them comftably.

You could get a x800xl which is the best performace for pound card out there, only problem is that it will probably be cpu bound and being agp will be useless when you upgrade.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=88313

Buy a decent psu if you havent got one (atx 2.0 and a good wattage, maybe even something like 500w), a decent cooler (£25-30 worth) or even water cooling and overclock what you have, and if you buy some decent psu/watercooling you will be able to use it in the future when you do get a new system.

Remember that fsb is the king when it comes to overclocking, bring this up while turning your cpu multiplier down. This will make your cpu run at the same or even faster speed but everyother component will run faster. If you have a nice stable psu you can raise the voltage to the components which lets them overclock further. As long as everything is nicely cooled everything should be ok.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    Gfx cards these days take most of the calculations on board especially the GeForce 6 & 7 series so CPU bottlenecking isnt a big big issue like it was but still is present a tad. but if you get a Gfx card you wont be able to use it in a new system later on assuming you go PCI-E later. if it was me though id wait for a total system rehaul and go with AMD64 Sck 939 & PCI-E

6. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies.

As you may have worked out from my original post, I was leaning towards just going for a whole new rig...but not right now, as my unit still does a good job for the time being. If i could get a very noticable improvement for a small outlay for an upgrade, i'd be more tempted to go for it.
    The more I think about it, I'll wait a bit, and go for the whole new system with PCI-e, etc....