Upgrade or start again?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dazed&confused, Mar 23, 2006.

1. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I am a Castle Comapct 5.1 owner who listens to music more than movies.

The current set up plays across width rather than length of the room, at one end of a rectangular lounge/diner. I was thinking of using the pair of current Compact fronts as B speakers (along with the same sub used for the 5.1), to position them at the same end of the room, but on the end rather than side wall and facing down the length of the room toward the dining table at the opposite end.

Mt thinking was to replace the fronts with the new Castle Column floorstanders, for two reasons 1) it would solve the problem of trying to find stands for the compacts. I haven't found any a Like and they must have a small footprint 2) I would hope to gain better stereo sound, with more detail, spaciousness, and depth.

The more of these boards I read though, the more I wonder if this is my best next step forward. A recent listen in the dealers and the posts on here seem to suggest that my Castle Cube sub could be beaten in terms of its speed and tightness for music (and from the recent listen, more impressive rumblings through the floor on movies, lol). In which case, I ask myself, if I'm going to end up changing the sub then are the Castle Column fronts the best way to go?

Any recommended alternatives for fronts, given that the Columns cost £549? They would probaly have to live with my current sub and surrounds for the time being, 'cos of budget. The main criteria is that the must be very slim and have a very small footprint, in which case I imagine they would have to be floorstanders. The rears they would end up with would be wall mounted and as discreet as possible.

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Sorry mate, I have no experience with Castle.
    Just consider this a bump.
    Anyone???

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What reciever do you have?

I recommend listening to music in stereo only (without a sub) with your current setup. You can improve the outcome by replacing the fronts and by adding an integrated or a power amp.

4. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I have a Yamaha 750SE but use an old Cryrus amp for stereo. With teh Compact fronts a sub really is required, so I use the amp in 'straight' mode and pre-outs to Cyrus. I will upgrade the Cyrus at some point, maybe either to a second hand Naim pre/power combo or Musical Fidelity intergrated like the x-80 or something.

Yes, as I said in the header, upgrading the fronts will improve stereo sound and I was thinking of the Castle Columns at £549. Even then though, I would probably still use the sub, set at a low crossover of something like 60Hz. (If I wanted to use the pre-map stage of a stereo amp this would mean having to connect the sub at speaker level for music, I presume).

The point is, would the Castle Colums be the best way to go? Or is there something better I could get for the money? I would certainly consider second hand, and could sell my current set up.

Whatever solution I select, the fronts must have a very small footprint and be very slim. As discreet as possible. The B spekaers facing te dining area would have to be very small to sit on shelves.

5. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are many speakers that you can try. The only issue is to match them with the center. If you don't want the trouble then stick with Castle speakers. However, you should keep in mind that even if the speakers are from the same company it doesn't mean they have the same elements and that the center speaker will match the new fronts perfectly. You must try and see.

6. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    No suggestions for some very slim, discreet fronts with a small footprint then?

7. Bobdk

Bobdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi D&C,

I am in a similar position to you in that I have the CC3's and am looking to buy the CCC's. I am pleased with the sound from the CC3's and whilst they are not the loudest loundspeakers on the market they are adequate for my needs. You could sell the CC3's and start over but Castle have made the CCC's to match the CC3's so for me I think it will be a case of "better the devil you know". Once my local dealer gets the CCC's in I will be going to audition a probably buy.

8. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    MS906s and 908s are 165mm wide. 906s are OK with music.

9. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monitor Audio Radius fronts are rather small. System Audio speakers are pretty slim too.