Upgrade or not?

celtic13

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a sony strb 1080 which I think is about 5yrs old. The sound with 5.1 is involving and powerful, however with 2channel music is a tad clinical - i use it with a marantz cd player. Over the years it has certainly mellowed but now having renovated our viewing room i am investigating new projectors and thinking of the possibility of upgrading my amp as well. A pal has an onkyo 6 series amp which while fine and boisterous for movies was a touch too unrefined for music. I also didn't really hear much of an upgrade from DD to HD sound but that may have been because he was running 5.1 as opposed to 7.1 and his speakers weren't great.

I have a budget of about £600 for a new amp but wondered if this new fangled hd sound is worth it, or should i add the money to the projector fund and go for the new jvc ? Haven't looked at amps in ages so I amnot really aware of what is out there.

Advice much appreciated.

Paul

Last edited:
Superfi have a cracking offer on the the Sony STRDA 2400-ES for less than £300-00 including free mainland delivery.

I'd hurry though.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with Superfi or the trade...:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom