Upgrade or not?

Noir

Hi Team,
I have the q acoustics 3050i floorstanders + centre and the q acoustics 2070ci subwoofer. The overall performance is good but I am looking to upgrade my sub… a few points to note!
1. I need it small enough to not annoy the wife.
2. it will be in a corner.
3 The Room size is 4.76m x 4.06m
I am not looking for a total earth shattering sub but I do watch a lot of movies so I want something that will do a great job.
I was considering the SVS PB-1000 pro or SVS SB-1000 pro… what’s your thoughts?

Mr Wolf

Would you buy two or, if one, would you ever be prepared to add a second sub?

Dual subs are so much better than one and whether you might go dual should probably affect your decision here.

Noir

Would you buy two or, if one, would you ever be prepared to add a second sub?

Dual subs are so much better than one and whether you might go dual should probably affect your decision here.
Thats a good point… I am not opposed to having duel subs but I thought the SVS PB - 1000 pro might be a brilliant choice, it’s just on the large front. I did consider the B12 also but again it’s on the large front.

Mr Wolf

I went dual subs (PB-3000) for the first this year and massively regret not doing it earlier.

Dual PB-1000s would be very nice but if they're too big to go dual then I would look at other smaller subs that I could go dual with.

Ed Mullen

If you watch a lot of action/sci-fi movies, I recommend the PB-1000 Pro. It has considerably higher dynamic output capability in the 18-36 Hz octave than the SB-1000 Pro.

While the PB-1000 Pro is our smallest ported model - it's not considered a small subwoofer by most definitions - so make sure it will fit into the intended location and passes the visual impact and décor integration tests.

Dobbyisfree

passes the visual impact and décor integration tests

Love it! If these two tests didn't exist, we'd all have dual PB-16 Ultras :)

Noir

I decided to go for duel sb 2000 subs. I have also ordered isolation feet as I am running them on carpet… a quick question, do they come with spikes?

Mr Wolf

Isolation feet help to decouple the sub from the surface it sits on. Spikes would do the opposite so no, they don't come with spikes.

Most people buy those feet for hard floors. If you have thick foam underlay beneath your carpet that may be all the decoupling you need with the standard feet.

What made you decide on the SB-2000s? Would the PB-1000s not fit?

Noir

Isolation feet help to decouple the sub from the surface it sits on. Spikes would do the opposite so no, they don't come with spikes.

Most people buy those feet for hard floors. If you have thick foam underlay beneath your carpet that may be all the decoupling you need with the standard feet.

What made you decide on the SB-2000s? Would the PB-1000s not fit?
Looked at the dimensions of the PB1000 and could not get it past the wife!!
I did manage to get a sign off on another sub and have a place to fit that nicely. 😉
I have spikes that will fit from my previous sub… it will not harm to use those will it? I mean the isollation feet (from SVS) are coming today but I just did not know what to use on my carpet… tbh I have always used spikes. 👍🏾

Mr Wolf

Depends on your sub-floor I imagine but most people like to decouple subs to limit vibrations through the floor. With sealed subs though I've seen some people report that coupling (with spikes) that can add a more tactile response if the sub-floor is suspended (i.e. not concrete). Why not just give it a try and see what you prefer.

I have two PB-3000s on carpet and just use standard rubber feet that came with the subs but I have extremely thick foam underlay. This is on a suspended wooden floor.

SB-2000 Pros are great subs and I'm sure you'll be really pleased with them.

Dobbyisfree

Similar to the big bad wolf, I have carpet on thick underlay on floorboards. I use the following method but mine are down-firing subwoofers so probably a different case:

So both the port and the driver fire onto the plinth in this case. But it also helps with stability.

Noir

Thank you all…
I am gonna wait for amazon to deliver the SVS subwoofer insulation system and try with that first and then try spikes if I get the neighbours moan. I mean they never did with my previous sub but onwards and upwards. 🤣

Dobbyisfree

Just a guess but wouldn't spikes give a more direct connection to the structure and cause more transmission to next door? I mean either way it muse be negligible?

Noir

True, but with my previous sub they never complained and I thought that it would be better as that’s what a read years ago… how things change.😉
Anyway, I could not resist and set up both subs already… when the isolation feet come I will install but so far I am happy!! 😃

Dobbyisfree

They actually look a bit like Min 12s just slightly upscaled 🤣

Is the wife happy? As in "happy that you're happy"? :)

Noir

Well, the wife is still saying “there was no need for another speaker!” 🤣 but why not I say!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom