1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade or not

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tessarossa, Jan 3, 2004.

1. tessarossa

tessarossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have a Denon 1802. I think I could get a 3801 for around £300 mark. Now is it worth spending the extra £150 taking I'll get the same if I sell the 1802. Would I notice any difference?cheers andre

2. tessarossa

tessarossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? Iam thinking in investing in B&W 600 series

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The 3801 will have more umph but I think it doesn't have DPII. You'd be better off getting the AVR3802 which has similar functionality and sound formats as the 1802 but more power. My AVR3802 drove my B&W 602 S3's effortlessly when I had them.
    You could always get an integrated amp (connected via pre-outs from the denon) to drive the fronts and you'd probably benefit from better stereo repro as well as probably having more power to drive them.:)

4. tessarossa

tessarossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hawklord. Got any ideas of which integrated amps and is it to be connected to my current setup ie the 1802? Cheers andre

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The Arcam A75+ can be picked up fairly cheaply at the moment if you shop around. It also has the av input mode that allows your av amp to control the gain when listening to dvd soundtracks (no fiddling with two volume controls). You can pick up x dem kit from sevenoaks (leeds) from as little as £230 a real bargain imo (mine cost £375 about six months ago) see here (just select arcam for all available bargains):-

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html