Upgrade or downgrade?

Enmanuel

Novice Member
Reaction score
I want a 80T TV, but Im in a room with size constraints so the size I'd need to get would be a 49'', so I would like to know if you know how good the picture quality is at that size, I know what differences are in gaming at that size, but picture quality, how is it?

I'm coming from a 6 Series FN TV 49'', so I don't know if I would be either upgrading or downgrading

Would going for the 80T really be that bad of a decision?

Thanks

It will be an upgrade in terms of HDR performance, the TV can get to around 800-850 nits which whilst not ideal, is better than your current TV. It also has decent local dimming for a TV of this size and price.

Refresh rate is the same, only the larger TVs come with 120hz panels. I'd expect motion performance to be similar to your current TV.

I'd personally be looking at the Sony 49XG9005 or 49XH9505 if I was shopping at that size, as they run 120hz panels for better motion, and have better HDR hardware.

But something irks me about Samsung only giving the smaller sizes 60hz panels whilst the larger 120hz, if you don't mind that, go for it.

I see, that’s a little relieving to hear

Unfortunately, I suffer from Samsung brand loyalty, which is why I haven’t taken the Sony’s more into consideration despite them being the better options

To my advantage tho, I’m in a dark room and even during the day I keep the blackouts on, so the 80T (I think it’s peak nits are on the 700s tho) despite the fact that it could’ve been brighter and cover more color for the price, wouldn’t look so bad

Again, your response really relieved me, thank you so so much

I see, that’s a little relieving to hear

Unfortunately, I suffer from Samsung brand loyalty, which is why I haven’t taken the Sony’s more into consideration despite them being the better options

To my advantage tho, I’m in a dark room and even during the day I keep the blackouts on, so the 80T (I think it’s peak nits are on the 700s tho) despite the fact that it could’ve been brighter and cover more color for the price, wouldn’t look so bad

Again, your response really relieved me, thank you so so much
Depends where you live which Q80T you get. If you get the version produced for the Americas it was measured around 700. If you get the version in Europe it should be higher. There may also be differences between sizes of TVs. They may as well have different model numbers.

Depends where you live which Q80T you get. If you get the version produced for the Americas it was measured around 700. If you get the version in Europe it should be higher. There may also be differences between sizes of TVs. They may as well have different model numbers.
Ohh that’s true, but in Europe isn’t this TV known as 85T? And the 80T being an inferior version? it’s a head scratcher

If the Europe version has higher brightness then I wish I could find a way to get that one, even if it’s just 100 nits, also I do know the Europe version has an inferior viewing angle layer, meaning contrast could be higher too in comparison to the US version

The Q80T in Europe is indeed different from the one sold in the Americas but the Q80T in the Americas doesn't come with the anti-glare/wide viewing angle filter at 49 either. The 50" one on the US website does though.

At other sizes the Q80T sold in the Americas does compare more to the Q85T in Europe in part due to the anti glare, but that doesn't mean the European model doesn't get brighter. We can only go on reviews from both TVs in different areas to compare.

The 50 inch has the viewing angle filter? I always had a bad feeling about that size and that’s another reason for me not to buy it

That viewing filter reduces contrast and since I’m in a small bedroom that coating is completely unnecessary

Man 49” is the way to go for me indeed

You should check your local Samsung website, but the US one shows the 50" does whilst the 49" doesn't.

In Europe its the same with the Q85T. 49" sizes don't have the filter.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom