Upgrade or downgrade ??

dlemon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Has anyone got any knowledge or any experience with the Monitor Audio Radius 270 (floor-standers), the reason I'm asking is because I am thinking of changing my current speakers which are the Kef 3005se (eggs) to the above MA Radius 270 and the 90's for the rear and the 225 for the centre, and either the 380 or 390 sub, I also have a wife to please so be gentle with me, I'm not sure if this is a step in the right direction or a backwards move, are the current or a few years old now (as are my Kef's) , the amp I will be pairing them with is the Denon Avrx 4000, this is my current amp and this is what my Kef's are running with, any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated
Thanks in advance

I think the radius are a similar quality level to your kefs so not sure you will get a huge change in performance. Also your denon deserves better speakers than the radius to get the best from it. The apex range would be a better option in terms of an upgrade.

Thanks for the reply PSM1, but I'm not so sure my budget would stretch that far, so you reckon it's more of a sidewards step with that set, it's just I seen a set for £399 and thought get 2 sets (fronts & rears) anything else worth considering, I just don't want to spend a sum of money and then sit there and say what the hell have I just done, thanks for taking the time to read & reply PSM1

To get a noticeable step up in quality you probably need to double the rrp of your current speakers for the next ones.

The 270 Speakers are a massive upgrade over that of the 3005se. The tweeter array is taken from the Silver series. Also have a look at the Kef e305 as their tech has come from the R-Series which has come from the blades.

So, if you really enjoy the sound of what you are enjoying now, then the E305 speakers certainly are a step in the right direction. The Monitor's on the other hand are still a big step up.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Radius delivers a very warm sound and the Kef's are a little more forward.

Regards, Shane.

Thanks for the reply guys, it's just I'm really struggling to upgrade as I'm afraid of spending £1200 quid and not really noticing any major difference, I'm getting confused.com, I know the Kef's were a great we package back then, but now by the sounds of it I would need to be spending in the region of £2000-£2500 to get any real benefit, am I correct in saying this, and the radius 270 are just of a similar spec as what I've got, and no point going for MA bronze 5's

The best advice is to go and listen to the options. Then decide if it is worth spending the money.

I cannot agree enough with the above comment. Go and listen to them. They are fundamentally different to the Kef's and you may find you do not like them, My own experience is that if you are selective with the subwoofer then the Radius is better when configured correctly.

I've always recommended MJ Acoustics or Rel with this package as the speakers are exceptionally good however the sub's really are the week link and if you use the high level input on these sub's (MJ Acoustics allow for more control), then you can create a sound which is similar to the Silver series without the size.

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom