1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade or buy new pc?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by dingo8yobaby, Sep 12, 2004.

1. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    hi guys, i currently have:
    amd athlon 2000xp+ 1.67ghz
    512mb ddr ram
    ati radeon 9000pro 128mb
    100gb hard disk.
    now the above pc is more than capable of doing my photo editing and basic video editing. the problem is i luv pc gaming and the wife is a sims fanatic.
    up till now i have been able to play most games a good resolutions etc till doom3 which i had to play at 640x480 to get decent frame rates. i'm gagging for hl2 and the wifes wanting sims2. the question is would buying a latest graphics card for my pc be like dressing a pig in a silk scarf or would it help me run these games decently.

thanks in advance for your replies. btw i'm too dumb to try overclocking etc! :confused:

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Your're still going to need a faster processor I'd imagine, ideally high end Athlon XP, or even plump for the amd 64. 1Gb of memory is nice to have these days as well.

It's never ending though!

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I have a similar system, my next upgrade will be an Athlon 64 with 1gig RAM, I plan to do this around or after christmas.

I doubt you will get much better performance with a gfx card upgrade as your mobo, CPU and RAM will become the bottleneck.

Also, out of all the games coming out soon it is only DOOM3 and HL2, which are going to hammer it, all the other games I am looking forward to playing, Dawn of War, World of Warcraft and Total War (hhmmmmmm preoccupation with war :p ) run fine on my system as is.

I imagine Sims2 will run fine on your current system anyway.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I agree. Its only high end games like Doom 3 and HL2 that will need all that power.

A 64 bit system will run all aplications much faster (not only games) and will also allow you to run high end games.

With the newer graphics cards like the X800 and 6800 series, the CPU was found to be the limiting factor, so I recomed u pugrade your CPU first, then get a newer graphics card later.

As for "buy or upgrade" well, if u are going to change to a 64 bit system then youl probably need a new motherboard and memory so it MIGHT be cheaper to buy a whole new system, but I dont know if any makers sell AMD 64 bit systems?

You may need to build it yourself by buying all the parts.

5. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Although the processor would bottle-neck a GF6800 / X800, it still would considerably uprate your systems graphic performance with games like Doom 2 - making them playable with higher resolutions and filtering at acceptable framerates.
    However, 9800pro cards are very good buys atm and would still make Doom 2 etc more than playable. If your motherboard can take it, look at slotting in a 2800+ or similar chip.
    The GF6800 / x800 options are £300+ for the decent cards ...... for £200 you can pop in a 9800pro and a new CPU ( again confirm the mother board can take it ) making a reasonable gameing system that will play all current graphically intensive games at reasonable resolutions / FPS.

.......... or you can hang on for abit and look to switch to a PCI Express card and a BX motherboard / case and pop in an AMD 64 - 3 or 4 months may well see that being an affordable upgrade with more future proofing

Note: for those unaware - BX is 'eventually' going to be the replacement for AX form factor / standard cases - with a new layout, power supplies, motherboards etc.

6. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful. my overwhelming desire to play hl2 and play it well means i'm gonna be looking 4 a new pc- ideally a 64 bit amd as you suggest.

7. Calpolaholic

Calpolaholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    If I were you I would try and get a new graphics card as that is the only real bottleneck in your system if its games you want to play. £150 would get you a decent Radeon 9800 which I'm sure will be nmore than adequate for HL2. Otherwise you are looking at investing a load of money for stuff you dont really need. Wait till next year before forking out for a new mobo and cpu. By that time more software will be using the potential of the 64 bit system.