Upgrade or buy a new pc?

Robert1986

I'm at that point where i'm itching to buy a next gen pc. I've allready got all the next gen consoles but i still need my pc gaming fix.

Basically i want a pc that'll do me for the next 4-6 years, and to play Crysis all maxed out with no slowdown. I've never built a pc or even messed around with the insides. So i'm abit nervous at trying to build one.

My current system.. Which has done me well, will feel sad seeing it go. :rolleyes:

Processor: AMD Athlon?„? XP Processor 3200+
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVIDIA® nForce2?„? SPP Motherboard DDR
Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2x512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON?„? 9800 XT 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA 7200rpm w/ 8MB Cache
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 6.1
Network Card: NVIDIA® Integrated 100Mb Ethernet Modem: US Robotics 56K Voice Modem PCI
Optical Drive One: Plextor Plexwriter Premium 52x32x52 CD-RW
Optical Drive Two: Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD±R/W Drive

Is this pre-built pc good enough?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-041-OK

Seems about the same price if i were to buy all the parts seperate?

what should i do?

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
If you got the money mate dont hesitate thats a beauty of a system.

Should last for minimum 5yr but I would average 7-10

Robert1986

If you got the money mate dont hesitate thats a beauty of a system.

Should last for minimum 5yr but I would average 7-10

I feel kinda ashamed i bought my current system for double of that new one. Its an Alienware afterall.

How much of a differnce will i notice from going from what i have now to this new one? Not just gaming wise. I do alot of video editing and other stuff like that.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I would say your processor might be around the same performance as an Athlon 64 2800 so you might want to take a look at this

The two red bars are what you want to look at.

You can change the parameters but it doesnt have the Athlon charts as they were outdone by the Athlon64 series.

Might want to take a look here as well.

sandys

Standard Member
Personally I'd say that if you have all the next gen consoles I'd stick to them until the new batch of Dx10/Vista games come along and then look at what hardware is about and what you really need, the problem with updating now is you'd only be buying kit that you know is going to work well with the older Dx9 software, currently its all a bit of an unknown as to how things like Crysis/UT3/Quake wars and numerous other releases on the horizon (Sept/Oct) are going to perform and what hardware you'll need to run these new engine in there full glory.

Once they come out you can make an informed decision as basically the engines in these titles will no doubt form the basis of quite a few games for years to come, the other advantage is of course the kit you're looking at now will probably have been superceded by something better for the same money, you have held on to that system for quite a while whats another few months.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
So are you sayin AMD would be the better choice?

No I am not, you asked how much difference you would see from your current machine to the one you was buying.

I was showing you some benchmarks so you could see how much of an improvement your new system would be.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
that system shouldnt have any problem handling Crysis.....

and presumably the board its based on will take Quad cores, so in future you can upgrade to a Quad core.....and PCIE is here to stay for a bit so you can always upgrade the graphics card....

however, you could most likely build the system cheaper yourself and overclock it if you got the guts ;)

personally i wouldnt bother if its your first time doing this stuff and you want a very powerful PC......better to start off by buying a cheap set of components, put those together, try overclocking to see if you can do it without screwing things up.....if you can, sell off the PC you made for cost and then buy the expensive parts and start again ;)

currently AMD dont have anything to touch the fastest Intels, who knows what AMD will manage with their next batch though....heh....question is, do you wanna wait?

kingo

the system from overclockers is excellent, the cpu alone will blow away any AMD cpu at this time and is the famous conroe core that can be very easily overclocked to at leats 3.4ghz.

everything about that system is future proof and you will not be dissapointed even if you do not buy this one if you look around then dont touch an athlon based system at this time but look for an intel cpu preferably the core 2 duo E6600 they are by far quicker just read some reviews on this cpu and you will see why. :thumbsup:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Personally I dont see how much of an improvement can be done in a few weeks since the 8800GTS is DX10 compatable the only real difference will probably be in price which no matter when you buy will always be cheaper after a few months.

IMO I wouldnt hesitate to get that system if I had the money.

Might want to hear others views though.

sandys

Standard Member
Its not really a few weeks though is it most of the Next gen titles are 4-6 months away thats a lifetime in PC hardware, OK bit of an exaggeration, but me I would wait, in fact I am waiting as theres buggerall about on the PC front that new at the mo, theres plenty on the consoles to tide me over.

The 8800 might be Dx10 compatible but its performance isn't really a known quantity in such titles as they have not been released, the new engines are looking to support as many CPUs as you can throw at them and as much GPU power as is available, if you are not itching to play something specific now, whats the rush, when the games you have mentioned are out the likely hood is that there will be a new AMD chip, lower priced Quad cores from intel and for the money of a 8800 GTS you'd probably be able to get the 8800GTX or something of equivalent power.

Its hard to future proof but knowing there are a number of new Dx10 games engines coming that haven't hit the market yet I'd be waiting, supporting Directx10 and actually being anygood at it are two seperate things entirely, though its fair to say most devs are probably using 8800s as they are Dx10 so it should be OK but hey as I said whats the rush.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom