Upgrade or add preamp

griminals

Standard Member
I am using an AV receiver for all my components (CD< blu-ray, Sky)

I want to upgrade and was considering, as an alternative to just upgrading the AV receiver, a separate pre-amp or power amp added to the current system.

I haven't got a lot of knowledge of pre-amps or power amps. Is it going to be possible to do this and still get 5.1 sound? If so what would you recommend; pre or power?

dablk

Novice Member
Hi there,
you gonna have to dish out a bit more info before anyone can help you with this.

I doubt you would add a preamp to your system. You might be able to add a power amp depending on your amp/outputs.

Or are you thinking of ditching it for a complete pre/power package like for instance an audiolab 8000AP/x7 like this

dablk

griminals

Standard Member
The AV receiver in question is a Cambridge Audio Azur 540Rv2.

I was thinking of either adding an integrated stereo amp and hooking that up to the pre-outs on the 540R. Or adding a dedicated power or pre amp to mix.

It's the latter option i'm unsure about. Is it going to be possible to hook up a separate pre or power amp and still get the 5.1 sound? Which of these is the better option?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom