Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrade options

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by lovegroova, Dec 14, 2004.

1. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    I now have some additional funds to spend but am unsure of what to upgrade and could do with some help/advice/suggestions.

I am keen on the idea of a projector and screen. As you can see from the pic, the equipment is in the 'sun-trap bay' and the centre speaker is 10ft from where I sit. Above the bay is a beam and I would like to hang a screen on the equipment side of the beam so it would need to be wound 'in reverse', if you see what I mean. It would mean the at the screen would hang just in front of the front edge of the rack. The L and R speakers are about 6ft apart. By the way, the DVD32 has the PSM fitted so I have the option of using the DVI output for the PJ.

Questions:
    1) Is it possible to get a screen that is wound 'in reverse?
    2) What size of screen should I go for? (probably a 16:9)
    3) Most TV watching will be done on the plasma, so recommendations for screen gain or even manufacturer/type please. (not sure on budget)
    4) What projector in the less than £2000 range? Optoma H57 seems a good option.
    5)How to mount the projector? A shelf on the back wall would be preferred, so vertical lens shift would be nice.

Other option:
    Upgrade the AV32 to Dual Processor spec with TMREQ (I think this costs around £1,600) and stick to the plasma.

2. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Go for the dual processor. Be aware that it might be worth to sell your single processor and buy a used dual processor... if you find one.

regards.

3. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :devil: I'd go for the dual processor too

4. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Definately the Dual Processor! :D

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Go for a PJ as your system is totally out of balance at the moment :thumbsup:

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Lets take this one at a time:-
    1) why do you need a screen wound in reverse? Most decent ones come in a box, you bung it up and the screen drops down out of a slot in the bottom....
    2) 16:9 no other choice really, dearer screens have masks for other formats that come into play as necessary given the correct wiring/drivers etc.
    3) You need to specify a pj first, you get what you pay for......Stewart being the best and most expensive probably.... the size is governed by your choice of pj and the lens throw etc.....
    4) Infocus do pj's at your budget, worth a look.....There are many DLP and LCD's at that budget...Its up to you which one you prefer....
    5) Ceiling mount is probably the way to go, vertical lens shift is a must really as you want to avoid at all costs any keystone. Many pj's use the same chipset (DLP's especially) the difference in performance is down to the quality of the light engine/optics and then on board scaling etc....

The DP is a very nice unit, I doubt you will find one second hand...... Its your money....

7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Graham, in answer to 1) the attached pic may help explain. I don't want to hang the screen on the ceiling, but on the 'plasma side' of the beam, with the screen facing the same dierction as the plasma (obviously!), hence the screen needs to be wound 'in reverse'.

I'll have a think about 3 & 4 (I've seen an InFocus 4805 and was pretty impressed).

As for 5, ceiling mount isn't really an option, as someone lives upstairs!

And, as we all know 2nd hand DPs are are rare as hen's teeth.

Attached Files:

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hiya.
    Still don't see why you need it rolled in reverse, electric screens come in a square box just drill the holes to mount to the side of the beam in it..... I assume you want it tight against the ceiling but behind the beam so you don't see the box? have a look at Stewart's web site to see what I mean.

As for fixing things to the ceiling, what difference do the upstairs neighbours make? Unless of course they have wild dance parties and weigh a few pounds more than they should :D Find where the joists are and fix the thing to them?

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    BTW, if that beam is actually a steel RSJ it could get interesting drilling into it so why not still bolt it to the ceiling joists tight up against the beam?

10. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    As you have probably guessed by now I am clueless about DIY type stuff so your advice is much appreciated.

You are correct in that I want the box hidden behind the beam, it's just that the screens I've looked at only seem to have mounting options of ceiling or 'black to the wall', rather than 'white to the wall'.

It looks like mounting to the ceiling joists is probably the best bet, especially as my upstairs neighbour is on a yacht in the southern ocean at the moment!

On screen sizes, I am thinking that 6ft wide would be too much from 10ft away, and that a 5ft width would be better? Am I correct in this?

11. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

a) Screen size. If you go digital (LCD/DLP) then a 16:9 screen for sure. If you go CRT (which can be had second hand for the same price as a new LCD/DLP) then the answer isn't as clear cut.

b) Screen gain: well, most would say 1.0 to 1.3, however, as you have a Plasma (which has a footLambert of around 50, a television set has around 33 ftL, a THX cinema 16 ftL - most people have around 8-11:ish ftL in their home cinemas with front projectors) you might find colors doesn't "pop" in the same way, so you could try a higher gain, however, be aware of the risk of hot spotting and of course, blacks can look even more gray with LCD and to some extent DLP!

c) Screen mounting. Da-Lite have some nice wall mounting kits that are adjustable, you can check 'em out at Da-Lite's Web page. With the low dollar, the option of ordering from the US is very much viable. Delivered with FedEx or equiv you'll have your kit under a week.

d) AE700 has great color temp settings but suffers from Vertical Banding, however, with its great zoom it can easily be placed a lot further back than most projectors, Sony HS50 has great blacks (for an LCD), Sanyo Z3 has great Lens Shift. DLP: I'm sensitive to rainbows so it's a no show for me on that one.

f) Go DP upgrade with TMREQ (preferably by swapping the whole unit). I use the Audio side of my kit a lot, lot more than the Video. :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

12. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I have consulted a professional who frequents these forums and it looks like the PJ will be installed sometime towards then end of January.

The DP will have to wait for now - hopefully 2nd hand examples will become less rare but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.

13. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lovegroova,

I have just noticed one detail on your pics.

You have a chandelier in the middle of your room and that would have to go when you mount projector.

regards

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Lovegroova.

Make sure you pick your pj and know where it is going BEFORE you decide what size the sceeen should be, there is nothing worse than having a picture that doesn;t fill that expensive screen or worse when half the picture bleeds over to the curtains..... If you mount eh pj on the back wall at a sensible height the light fitting won't get in the way. The best position is smack bang in the middle of the screen (both height and width) as no correction is then needed (the middle of the lens is always the best bit on cheaper designs).

A 6ft screen is fine fromm 10ft away, you might even want a 7ft screen assuming the pj is up to the task.
    Nice to see that you have got a professional involved. Gordon by any chance?

15. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Liam McLaughlin of Progressive-AV in fact. He is paying me a visit in early Jan to survey the room, as well as bringing a PJ along just so I can get an idea of screen sizes etc. This way things are not going to end in tears as they almost ertainly would if I were to be doing the fitting (wonky screen and PJ, dodgy electrics followed by a fire etc etc.)

7ft will mean the screen will be in the way of the L&R speakers so that's a no go.

I may get Gordon to weave his ISF magic in a couple of months once the bulb is 'run in'. Having benefitted from his expertise with my plasma, I reckon it will be well worth doing.

16. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the Optoma H56A and very happy until I tried the new H76 - beats the pants off the H56A so now saving up!

I understand why you need the screen "inside out" I had the same done as I mounted my Screen behind a beam on the wall and it just had to be changed.

Caleb

17. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The tail end of the "New features we'd like to see" thread converges with this one. The spreadsheet is worth pulling down.

As for the joist... I'd be glad of it. I discovered when I went to install my flush-fit screen that the joists change direction the other side of an internal beam - so the damn thing is surface mounted and hangs into the room. Looks horrible when the lights are on and 2 years later I still get told, with tedious regularity, about the way it disfigures the room. (How we suffer for our art!!).