1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade options with a Yamaha E800 (from an old 2-channel amp)

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by theo cupier, Jan 18, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Recently got an E800 and thoroughly enjoying my first forays in to 5.1. However, I fear the upgrade bug has struck!

At the moment, all my audio sources are connected into my 2-channel integrated amp (as well as the front signals from the E800). The stereo amp is a bit old, weary and occasionally failing and is next on my list of things to upgrade (gulp).

My long-term aim is for a modular system (ultimately mono blocking every channel) rather than to have integrated boxes. So, in the first instance and given a modest budget (hundreds of pounds rather than £1K+) do I:

1. Plug all my audio sources into the E800 and concentrate on power amplification from the pre-outs on all channels of the E800.
    2. Buy a decent 2-channel pre-amp to keep audio away from the E800 and then look at power amplification with remaining budget?

I know that the E800 will not be as kind to my 2-channel audio signals as a dedicated 2-channel pre-amp (and music is a pretty important factor for the overall system), so would option 1 end up being one step forward but two steps backwards?

Opinions on the path to righteousness are welcome, and any suggestions on kit to consider - more than happy to look at the second hand route!

I was looking at the Rotel 1075 as a possible solution in the power amplification dept - one box to handle all 5 channels. Would that work in either option?

Await your advice with considerable interest.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    A solution could be to buy a one box solution and then lay your hands on a 5 or more channel power amp. Use the pre outs of the amp to the power amp or bi-amp the fronts. Save some more money and then sell the reciever to help finance purchase of a seperate preocessor like a Tag avr32 or such like.

Without know ing your budget it makes it harder. You could always watch out on fleabay but your more likely to get better stuff and deals on these forums.]

I know its not exactly what you want but a modern av amp will slaughter the e800 in stereo and movies.

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

not sure I agree with that one, a modern receiver will offer more formats and use more speakers but I doubt it will sound any better than the Yammy.
    I may be wrong though;)

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    DFour

Thanks for this. The E800 stays. It's new to me (I've only had it a week) and is so far making a very pleasant upgrade from my 2-channel system for movies (it's being kept out of the path for music) I don't feel the need to get the latest AV processor - yet. I would love to have bought an AVR300 or similar one-box solution, but the budget didn't stretch (particularly since I have also just bought a sub and centre)

My front speakers only have one pair of binding posts, so bi-amping isn't an immediate option (until I change these!!!)

I am fairly certain that the point of weakness in my setup at the moment is my 2-channel integrated amp which is starting to get temperamental (after only 12 years!). This is causing problems for music sources connected directly to it, as well as the fronts in 5.1 mode, coming from the E800's pre-outs.

The issue really is whether the E800 is going to be a real step downwards in handling 2-channel audio sources if I use it as my processor for everything and use its full set of pre-outs.

If it is going to be a big step down in audio processing, then I need to get a 2-channel pre-amp as well as some power amplification.
    If it is not, then I will use it as a pre-amp for everything and I can focus my budget on the power amplification.

I was thinking of something like the rotel rmb-1075 (which seems to be about £500 second hand). This would give me 5 channel power amplification, but if it's going to be fed rubbish from the CD player, routed via the E800 then maybe I need to think again.