Upgrade options from Panasonic HC-V550

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Paul33, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Paul33

Paul33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have enjoyed using the V550 out in the field shooting butterflies and the image quality is great ..... as is the monster 90x zoom.

The two areas I would like to improve on are firstly the AF which really struggles to grab the subject at times which is very frustrating and, secondly, the swing-out screen is a nightmare to find what you can see with your eye !

Is there a camera that offers similar quality or better, the same monster zoom AND a single-spot AF system for accurate focussing (as with a good DSLR) AND a viewfinder option that doesn't rely on a swing out screen ?

Looking for options.

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    AF systems usually relay on striking contrast, so if what they "see" is not like that, then they struggle and will sometime "hunt" - also if the "Subject" is flitting about you can't expect it to hold focus . . .
    That LCD - are you having issues outdoors when it's sunny? - LCD screens are notorious for this and if you can concoct a card "shade", that will help a bit.

In general, as cameras become Up-market, the zoom range is shorter, so look for camcorders with something below 40x should result in an improvement, all other things being equal.

Have you considered a Stills camera ( having movie capabilities) with interchangeable lenses, even?
    My own NEX5 is a tad "old" but I've bought an "Extender tube" ( with electrical contacts £15 ) and this allows the standard 3x zoom to focus really close, while still keeping the AF operational. However, removing this can be a bind when you want to focus normally. The CU visual quality is exceptional with an 14Mpx APSC sensor, although it only uses 2Mpx for video files.
    Good luck.