• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade option?

Viet Le

Standard Member
I have Dynaudio Excite X14 with NAD C368 atm. I'm quite happy now but still want to upgrade.

I'm thinking next step is to trade in the X14 for X18. In a few months later probably will upgrade the amp, most likely to NAD C388.

But I'm really concerned about the 4ohm X18. As NAD C368 provides 80W both in 8 and 4ohm. I'm afraid the amp cannot bring better performance from X18 in comparison to X14.

So part of me think maybe the next step is to upgrade the amp to C388 first.

Of course having an audition at the local store is best but I would like to ask for your opinions.

muljao

Prominent Member
I don't believe it's all about watts. Nad amps are renowned for delivering good power, beyond what the numbers suggest.

I would say though if you're happy, keep your money

Viet Le

Standard Member
I still feel this set up lacks a little bass comparing to when X14s were paired with Rotel RA 12 a while ago. Of course the NAD is clearly better in overall.

I hope an upgrade to X18 may bring more bass.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
how about adding a subwoofer?

Viet Le

Standard Member
Ok so I finally traded in the X14 for X18. The X18s are brand new comparing to the X14s once I got them.

The sound is definitely improved in terms of mids and lows. As far as I know X18s need 100 hour to break in so I expect the sound to improve further over time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom