Upgrade onkyo 605

THE BOARS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi people im looking to upgrade from my onkyo 605

now im on a tight budget and think something like the sony 810

would anyone recommend something for me please

The Sony 810 is a level below the 605 so would not be an upgrade in sound quality (will actually be a down grade). The only benefit of 810 would be the 1.4 HDMI for 3D (is this the reason for the upgrade?). The Onkyo 608 would be the current model of your model at the moment. But again this would only be a sideways step in terms of sound quality. What speakers do you have?

The Sony 810 is a level below the 605 so would not be an upgrade in sound quality (will actually be a down grade). The only benefit of 810 would be the 1.4 HDMI for 3D (is this the reason for the upgrade?). The Onkyo 608 would be the current model of your model at the moment. But again this would only be a sideways step in terms of sound quality. What speakers do you have?

not 3d to be honest i was looking for a sound upgrade
i have morduant short think its 902 floors with the centre and rears with a velodyne amp

Mordaunt short speakers work better for most people with the tonally warm natured amps from Yamaha, denon or Marantz.

The Yamaha 667 is on promotional discount for current stocks at £350 (£100 discount) and some have got it for around £300.

Technically it's the same level as your onkyo, but because the MS speakers are tonally bright, pairing them with a watm natured amp may give you a sound improvment, but you should really demo to see if that is the case.

The Higher level Yamaha 1065 (non 3D) may still be around and sells for around £425-450.

Mordaunt short speakers work better for most people with the tonally warm natured amps from Yamaha, denon or Marantz.

The Yamaha 667 is on promotional discount for current stocks at £350 (£100 discount) and some have got it for around £300.

Technically it's the same level as your onkyo, but because the MS speakers are tonally bright, pairing them with a watm natured amp may give you a sound improvment, but you should really demo to see if that is the case.

The Higher level Yamaha 1065 (non 3D) may still be around and sells for around £425-450.

thanks for that ill go have a search about

If you are looking for a sound improvement then definately do not go for the Sony 810. Personally I would not go for the 608 either or any other amp around the same level. If you want better sound then you need to go at least up a level if not 2 levels. The Yamaha 2065 was recently being sold at a great price but not sure if there are any of them left.
What budget did you have for the upgrade?
I would also suggest that if you are looking to upgrade your sound you will probably be wise to look at upgrading the speakers at some point as well. Especially if you are going for an amp several levels above your current reciever.

i have morduant short think its 902 floors with the centre and rears with a velodyne amp

I would also suggest that if you are looking to upgrade your sound you will probably be wise to look at upgrading the speakers at some point as well.

If the speakers are, as said, floorstanders in the MS Avant 9 series, they're actually quite good speakers.

If you are looking for a sound improvement then definately do not go for the Sony 810. Personally I would not go for the 608 either or any other amp around the same level. If you want better sound then you need to go at least up a level if not 2 levels. The Yamaha 2065 was recently being sold at a great price but not sure if there are any of them left.
What budget did you have for the upgrade?
I would also suggest that if you are looking to upgrade your sound you will probably be wise to look at upgrading the speakers at some point as well. Especially if you are going for an amp several levels above your current reciever.

thanks as for budget im kinda limited for now with xmas and three kids

i was looking around the £250 with extra from the money for selling the onkyo 605

To be honest no amp within your budget is really going to represent a real upgrade in terms of sound quality from your current amp. Some will give you more features but none are really going to improve your sound quality significantly.

To be honest no amp within your budget is really going to represent a real upgrade in terms of sound quality from your current amp. Some will give you more features but none are really going to improve your sound quality significantly.

yeah looking at your posts above i guess your right
ill maybe just leave it for a while

thanks

yes sorry had to go check
they are the
906 905 903

I run the 906 and 905 but with 902 surrounds and they are good speakers. Most reviews comment on the brightness of these speakers, so looking at the tonally warm amps from Yamaha, denon and Marantz is probably the best, unless you like the sound you get with the Onkyo, in which case stick with Onkyo.

I run the 906 and 905 but with 902 surrounds and they are good speakers. Most reviews comment on the brightness of these speakers, so looking at the tonally warm amps from Yamaha, denon and Marantz is probably the best, unless you like the sound you get with the Onkyo, in which case stick with Onkyo.

sorry i know its not mentioned

SONY STRDA3500ES
richersounds in scotland has one of these for under £300

The 3500 would be a step up from your current reciever and should have the same bright sound you are used to with your Onkyo. Under £300 is also a good price for it.

sorry i know its not mentioned

SONY STRDA3500ES
richersounds in scotland has one of these for under £300

sony amps are bright in nature so theoretically not the best pairing with MS speakers.

However, if you like the sound of your onkyo with the MS speakers, then the sony is possibly a good option.

The 3500 is the amp above the Sony 2400ES that can be had from Amazon for £250. The 2400 is the same level as your current amp.

Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Some of the sony experts on the forums think the 3500 is the same amp as the 2400 but with more functionality.

One forum member demoed the two and thought the 3500 sounded better than the 2400Es

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
sorry ignore the silly question

looking at some yamaha rv667 looks nice price isnt too scary either

Last edited:
The 667 is a nice reciever and currently at a good price. It is around the same level as your current reciever so more of a sideways step in terms of performance. Yamaha are warm sounding so in theory should pair better with your speakers but if you like the sound of your current Onkyo with the MS speakers you may not like that of the Yamaha.

im seriosly looking at the yamaha 1065 now
is the video upscaling a good bit better than my onkyo
i get confused with 1080p upscaling i thought the onkyo was capable also

I think the Onkyo only upscaled to 1080i, but i may be mistaken.

Video upscaling is not really a big issue as a decent TV will do as good a job of upscaling as a £500 amp. It's only analogue video that's upscaled anyway. I remember that Cnet wasn't that happy with the upscaling of one of the 60X Onkyo amps.

The 1065 is a level above the Onkyo, 606, 607 and 608. It also has a slightly different tonal sound. The onkyos prior to this years 608 were a little on the tonally bright side; the Yamaha amps have a warmer tonal nature.

Edit, it was the 607 that cnet didn't like the upconversion on:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4505-6466_7-33553470.html

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom