Upgrade on Alumni

neil29

Hello, could you please give recommendations for wan upgrade on my current setup please. I've got an old amp and speakers, the amp is a yamaha rxv765 and the speakers are a Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 set. I'm not yet looking to replace the amp because it has all the connections I need still and hasn't missed a beat in over 10 years. However I'm after something a little better than the Alumnis. They're great for watching films, but I want something that sounds better when listening to music. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks, Neil.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
That is what you get with Yamahas, they last from father to sons. :) My first one is lot more older and still going strong what i heard from who i sold it to..

Check out the "Kef KHT 2005.3 possible upgrade" thread. I would upgrade the front three first or just the main speakers for now. Some decent sized standmount speakers + stands is usually the way to go. Search what is available in the 500-700£ range. Keep using Alumnis at "rears" and if the sub is fine for movies as in you don´t crave more impact, deeper bass or something else then keep it for now.

What you need to do is visit hifi store listening different speakers if possible. Make a list of candidates that fits in your budget, size, finish etc. then call the hifi shop (Richer Sounds, SSAV, Hifix, Peter Tyson etc) and ask them to use Yamaha RX-V6A with the speakers you want to hear/compare. Reviews are just some guys opinion, you might feel different so i would advice not buying blind if possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom