upgrade old PC - Intel I5 2400, RAM 8Gb

Going Grey Now

Morning all.
I appreciate that there are numerous posts about ‘what spec should I go for’ but admit to being a bit overwhelmed by it all.
there was a time that I was right up to date with PC specs - I built my existing PC in about 2014 - but those days are far behind.
I guess what I’m asking is for some general advice on the sort of spec PC (mobo and CPU) which would leave my existing kit in the dust, so to speak.
I don’t mind which brand of processor and have very simple requirements - the most strenuous thing the pc will be asked to do is run Lightroom stand-alone, the odd bit of video processing (not much) and converting CDs to FLAC.
Am I on the right road thinking that just about any current day desktop will be a better bet than my ageing I5-2400 (which, by the way, doesn’t even have USB3)?
Really appreciate any help.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The answer is probably yes, but like all things, it is still possible to pick up a lemon.

You haven't put a budget so difficult to recommend.

Ideally, though you want a minimum of a quad processor, 16GB of RAM will always help out in Lightroom. You also want to use SSD\M2 drive as that will give you a massive speed increase. Ideally you don't want any HDDs but that depends on how much photos you have. But you need to have a backup too though,.

strangely tim

If you have a 3.5" or 5.25" spare bay on the front of your case you can pick up a USB port on ebay cheap enough, they basicly slot in and a couple of screws to secure and you plug the supplied into a PCI-e slot on your motherboard or if you don't mind rear mounted sockets pick up just the expansion card and slot it in, those are about £20, an SSD drive £30-£60 and maybe upgrade your graphics card which will help with video editing. Keep your old hard drive in place for extra storage/backup but always have an external backup source, hard drive, USB sticks, cloud etc

End of the day a lot depends on your budget but upgrading your machine would make a big difference for you without blowing £££££s on a new unit considering what you use it for.

Thats about

Going Grey Now

The answer is probably yes, but like all things, it is still possible to pick up a lemon.

You haven't put a budget so difficult to recommend.

Ideally, though you want a minimum of a quad processor, 16GB of RAM will always help out in Lightroom. You also want to use SSD\M2 drive as that will give you a massive speed increase. Ideally you don't want any HDDs but that depends on how much photos you have. But you need to have a backup too though,.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I’m just a bit concerned that I could be having some problems with the mobo as I’ve now had several occasions when the PC won’t boot as it “can’t find boot drive” or something similar.
I have thought about changing out the boot drive but that won’t get me anywhere if the mobo is kaput.
Hence the thought process about a new PC.

Going Grey Now

If you have a 3.5" or 5.25" spare bay on the front of your case you can pick up a USB port on ebay cheap enough, they basicly slot in and a couple of screws to secure and you plug the supplied into a PCI-e slot on your motherboard or if you don't mind rear mounted sockets pick up just the expansion card and slot it in, those are about £20, an SSD drive £30-£60 and maybe upgrade your graphics card which will help with video editing. Keep your old hard drive in place for extra storage/backup but always have an external backup source, hard drive, USB sticks, cloud etc

End of the day a lot depends on your budget but upgrading your machine would make a big difference for you without blowing £££££s on a new unit considering what you use it for.
Thanks. as per my previous reply re potential mobo issues, I need to think carefully about this.
I had considered adding some USB3/PCI-e slots but the possible mobo issue is holding me back.
Happy to spend money but don’t want to waste it.
I’ve swapped by boot drive around the various SATA ports on the mobo but I don’t seem to be able to pin down the reason for the sporadic “can’t find boot drive” error messages.

strangely tim

'Can't boot or find the drive' is likely a hard drive or software issue more than mobo. Might well be worth you doing a W10 reset which will reinstall W10 from scratch but you have the option of keeping all your personal files before splashing out on a new machine. If its your first time doing this just type reset this PC in the search box. If nothing else it will clear out junk from your machine which builds up over time and you'll need to reinstall some programmes but thats no big deal.

Always have a back up of personal files 'just in case' ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom