• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade old monitor Audio Bronze

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I’m looking at changing my speakers. I’m guessing they are around 10 years old. Maybe a little less. I have a XTZ 12.7 sub which I would like to keep. Currently running on a Denon Avrx200w Receiver. I also have some Cambridge audio minx as my front height Atmos.

I would like front, rears and a centre and Atmos speakers that sit on turn front and back speakers.
Can anyone suggest a worthy upgrade? Listen to 90 percent movies and tv and the rest music. Unfortunately I am limited where my rears go so they must stay where I have them now. Looking at spending no more than £1500 inc the Atmos plus £500 for the Receiver. Pic below

D2699060-FE4B-4484-B73D-FF1EF175741F.jpeg

Last edited:

gibbsy

Even with £1500 available it would be more of a sideways move that a step forward. Your receiver would fall into the price range of the X2500, which is, apart from newer technology, a progression of the same model as far as audio quality goes. Again £1000 left for speakers would just, perhaps, give a small increment in audio quality.

I would spend more of the budget on a better receiver and see (listen) as to how that plays out with your current speakers. Perhaps then consider renewing the front three to a better model of speaker.

I went from a Denon AVR 2310 to a X6200 several years ago and that was a big step forward even with KEF 3005 Eggs. Better speakers followed which was a major improvement with R300s. Now it would take a big investment to get better quality speakers to make any improvement worthwhile. Little point in small steps. Be bold take big ones.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Even with £1500 available it would be more of a sideways move that a step forward. Your receiver would fall into the price range of the X2500, which is, apart from newer technology, a progression of the same model as far as audio quality goes. Again £1000 left for speakers would just, perhaps, give a small increment in audio quality.

I would spend more of the budget on a better receiver and see (listen) as to how that plays out with your current speakers. Perhaps then consider renewing the front three to a better model of speaker.

I went from a Denon AVR 2310 to a X6200 several years ago and that was a big step forward even with KEF 3005 Eggs. Better speakers followed which was a major improvement with R300s. Now it would take a big investment to get better quality speakers to make any improvement worthwhile. Little point in small steps. Be bold take big ones.
Thanks so go for the receiver now and see how I feel? If I get one for around £1000 that would be good I hope. Bit scared I won’t notice a change at all though with my current setup

gibbsy

It's a stepping stone, the first one on a true upgrade path. Receivers in a certain price group are all roughly the same as are speakers. Perhaps the main difference is how each unit sounds to us personally.

A new receiver in a different tier will give more headroom, the speakers will like that. Staying with Denon (or Marantz) will give you a better version of Audyssey, your room will like that. Just those two could give a better audio performance. Higher tier models will give pre-outs that can lead to even more ways to improve performance.

Speakers are really good these days and the choice and competition is pretty fierce so you have to take a big upgrade, only the front three at first but you can only do that if you have the engine to drive them. That's why I feel a receiver should be the first step. If you're not desperate then summer's not too far away when prices usually start to tumble and perhaps pick up a Denon 4500 and build around that.

This 'hobby' can be catastrophic for your bank balance.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom