Upgrade - Old Box

mda1974

Hi Guys

Just a quick addition to my last post about the EPG?

When I get my new Sky+ HD box I am assuming that I wont be able to watch any of the recordings still on it, is this right? If so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Also, what do you think the best thing to do with the old box would be? I have a normal sky box in the bedroom which I use for freesat so
  • I could swap it but no real point as I wont get any of the "+" features.
  • I could keep it as a spare
  • I could sell it on e-bay.
What do you think?

Marcus

newboy2008

Novice Member
ebay it,you will get a good price and like you say,no point having a + box if you dont pay for the features so the box you have will do fine mate.

pcbbc

Novice Member
When I get my new Sky+ HD box I am assuming that I wont be able to watch any of the recordings still on it, is this right? If so I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Still on the old box you mean? :confused:

You can watch old content on the old box, assuming:
1. It is still connected to a satellite feed (only input 1 required)
2. You use the same card that was used to make the recordings (does not need to be paired)
3. You do not want to watch premium recordings (Movies and Sports would require card to be re-paired)

Obviously the normal proviso that the card must still has a subscription to the required channels and Sky+ features enabled is taken as a given.

However copying over with Copy+ (which I assume is what you are referring to) is by far the easier option if you have significant numbers of recordings to keep ;)

Also, what do you think the best thing to do with the old box would be?
You are correct that there is no point in keeping it, unless you need a spare.
But your freesat box could be used as a spare if needed (but obviously no recording features).

mda1974

Still on the old box you mean? :confused:

You can watch old content on the old box, assuming:
1. It is still connected to a satellite feed (only input 1 required)
2. You use the same card that was used to make the recordings (does not need to be paired)
3. You do not want to watch premium recordings (Movies and Sports would require card to be re-paired)

Obviously the normal proviso that the card must still has a subscription to the required channels and Sky+ features enabled is taken as a given.

However copying over with Copy+ (which I assume is what you are referring to) is by far the easier option if you have significant numbers of recordings to keep ;)

You are correct that there is no point in keeping it, unless you need a spare.
But your freesat box could be used as a spare if needed (but obviously no recording features).
Can you just confirm that I've got this right?

Once new HD box is installed then the card will be paired with new HD box. But what you are saying is that I could conect the old Sky+ box to the feed in the bedroom. take the card out the HD box put into the old + box and then be able to watch the recording.

If that's right then fantastic.

Marcus

newboy2008

Novice Member
Can you just confirm that I've got this right?

Once new HD box is installed then the card will be paired with new HD box. But what you are saying is that I could conect the old Sky+ box to the feed in the bedroom. take the card out the HD box put into the old + box and then be able to watch the recording.

If that's right then fantastic.

Marcus
yes thats what he is saying(and he is correct).You can watch all old recordings on the sky+ box except for the premium recordings (movies and sports).Just remember you wont be able to record or download anytime content to the new box whilst the card is in the old sky+ box.

Last edited:

mda1974

Thanks everyone.

At least that means I can still watch the last few hours of 24.

mda1974

Just one more quick question.

Once I've finished watching the recordings on the old box is ok just to delete the recordings before I sell it or is there some way to reformat the drive completley?

Also, is there a way to find out spec of box for the ebay description?

Thanks

Marcus

Broadz

Once I've finished watching the recordings on the old box is ok just to delete the recordings before I sell it or is there some way to reformat the drive completley?
There is an option within setup for New Installation - which ultimately deletes all recordings from both planner and Anytime, as if the box was being installed brand new.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom