Upgrade of Sony HS60

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kryten, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I currently have a Sony HS60 (720p) projecting onto a white Beamax 210cm screen (casing is 220cm wide giving a 16:9 diagonal of 241cm). This was originally run through a Lumagen Vision HDQ scaler (must get around to putting that in classifieds!) but since upgrading my Arcam AV9 to a Yamaha CX-A5000 I’ve just let that take over the HDMI switching duties as I now have no analogue video sources and using HDMI I get the full HD 7.1 audio.

I have some issues with getting the room fully dark as the screen has 9ft glass patio doors (south facing) to the side of it and due to a marital compromise the thick, dark curtains which used to perform blackout duties have now been swapped for light coloured vertical blinds which don’t block the light as well. This means that during the summer months, light control isn’t great and it is not really possible to watch dark films until quite late.

I can leave the existing screen as-is (though its motor has sounded some signs of reluctance in retracting) and with the HS60 mounted against the back wall, the distance from front lens to the screen is right on the limit at 410cm.

I could bring the screen forward onto the next joist which would mean that it is closer to me, increasing perceived size and this would also mean that the current occasional panic of trying to move a vase of flowers whilst the screen is dropping towards them, ready to spill water onto the various electronics in the cabinets, would be removed.

The max screen width to avoid obscuring the main speakers would be 230cm wide with a drop from ceiling of 160cm max (to remain above the centre speaker), so a screen of 230x130 with a 263cm diagonal for 16x9 would be feasible. I was considering whether moving to a tab-tensioned screen would be worthwhile, possibly even a grey one to improve black levels, but I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle of replacement.

For the projector, I’m really looking at 1080p and I’m not interested in 3D or 4k. I see rainbows on DLP so that is ruled out which leaves a couple of options in the sub-£3k price bracket.

Currently, the projector is not mounted centrally to the screen, being high up on a shelf on the rear wall, though I will change this so whilst still being mounted high and needing some vertical lens shift, it will at least be central to the screen. This may give me some HDMI cabling issues, but I assume WirelessHD connections introduce latency and quality issues, so will figure something out.

Most of what I use it for is probably gaming, so I need something capable of coping with fast moving images, though I do watch films as well (probably 60/40 split)

So, I’m looking for suggestions in advance of heading to the Bristol show this weekend.

I’ve had a look at a mate’s Epson 9000 and took my HS60 to compare projecting onto his grey screen and the Epson was unsurprisingly a lot better, so the Epson 9200 seems like a definite option (and has an integrated lens cover which would be handy) - other possibles seem to be the JVC X35 and Sony HW55

Of course, part of me wonders whether I should find a slice of the budget for a new Lumagen (and calibration of that and my Samsung 55F800), though that is harder to justify as it would simply be doing calibration duties (whereas before I used it for all video switching).

2. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Off to the show tomorrow - anyone got any suggestions??

3. robert dowrick

robert dowrick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi saw your post and wondered what projector you went for, the reason being I to have an HS60 which is nearing the end of its bulb life and was wondering about getting a new bulb or upgrading to a 1080p unit