Upgrade of front speakers

memphisuklf

Established Member
Reaction score
Just after some advice for an upgrade for my current setup.

Currently have an onkyo 605, Maurdant short 906i fronts, 902i rears, 905i centre and a bk xls 200/Df. I am after upgrading the fronts and maybe the centre(Which i have been really happy with) with time and using these for another setup in another room.
Does anyone have any advice on what fronts and centre would go nicely with this amp, budget £300 - £400.

Cheers

I'm not sure how you are going to 'upgrade' the fronts with that budget, as that was the price of the 906is, so you wouldn't be gaining a quality upgrade.

One option; there may still be some around but you will have to hunt and may not be sucessful, is the Monitor Audio RS6, a £650 speaker recently being sold for half price. But you would need to get the matching RSLCR centre at the same time to ensure tonal matching across the front soundstage.

These are similar to the MS speakers in that they are bright sounding. Bright speakers are not the normal pairing for the also bright sounding onkyo amps, so I guess you like a bright overall sound.

I thinks thats what I want to change. I agree and think its not the normal pairing of speakers and amp(Didn`t know any better when I bought them).
So looking for speakers that wasn`t so bright. I use them most for movies so don't know if a more neutral or warmer sound would be better.

Last edited:
I thinks thats what I want to change. I agree and think its not the normal pairing of speakers and amp(Didn`t know any better when I bought them).
So looking for speakers that wasn`t so bright. I use them most for movies so don't know if a more neutral or warmer sound would be better.

If you're looking for neutral speakers, the general consensus is that the Q Acoustics speakers are neutral. These 1050is are on discount, so may have been a similar priced speaker to the Ms 906s, though the 906s may have been slightly more, not fully sure.

Q ACOUSTICS 1050i SPEAKERS (PAIR) (BLACK) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3867 for details

I find Wharefdale speakers the watm side of neutral so if you can still find some Diamond 9 florrstanders, they may be good and currently discounted. If not, the new Diamond 10 range would be worth a look.

Many people use the warmer tannoy speakers with Onkyo amps and the Mercury F4 florstanders may be worth looking at.

Also maybe look at KEF and Acoustic energy floorstanders, reportedly neutral though i don't know much about them.

Just another thought, though from what you say, may not fit in with you plans, but how about swapping the Onkyo amp for a Yamaha or Denon amp? I find that the Ms speakers that you have are great with warm sounding amps and you could get a Yamaha 765 for £350

Have thought about swapping the amp because I do like the speakers. Will have a look at a few of the options you have suggested.

Cheers for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom