• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade of firmware - will it be free?

nictry

Distinguished Member
I have recently purchased a DV88+ from another member and as it has v5.13 of the firmware I thought would be good to get upgraded to the latest 5.17 so rung my local arcam dealer who said bring it in and they would sort out. Now without wanting to sound tight or be embarrased in the shop will they charge me to do this or as it is such a HQ piece of kit with a great brand name etc. will this be done gratis :smashin:

Grateful for any confirmations?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
It depends on whehter you bought the kit from them or not. As you bought the item second hand there is a good possibility that the dealer would charge for doing this. A nominal fee of about £20 would be reasonable.

I personally would not charge anyone for this service, providing they had given me plenty of prior notice and left it with me for at least a day. Although the procedure is quick and easy to perform, most dealers have many other, more profitable, things to do with their time so you are best not to pressure them timewise. If a customer came into me first thing in the morning I would have it ready by the end of the same business day except on a Saturday.

nictry

Distinguished Member
Crustyloafer said:
It depends on whehter you bought the kit from them or not. As you bought the item second hand there is a good possibility that the dealer would charge for doing this. A nominal fee of about £20 would be reasonable.

I personally would not charge anyone for this service, providing they had given me plenty of prior notice and left it with me for at least a day. Although the procedure is quick and easy to perform, most dealers have many other, more profitable, things to do with their time so you are best not to pressure them timewise. If a customer came into me first thing in the morning I would have it ready by the end of the same business day except on a Saturday.

No it wasn't bought from them originally and they did say did I mind leaving it for the day which of course I don't, I also wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee so I will just check on the day when I drop it in to them.

Many thanks, Nick :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom