• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade of existing loftbox system (using Sky) to Sky+HD

zimbo000

Established Member
I have a well established and working loftbox (Global TV Link) TV/Sat/Radio distribution system around the house. My Sky service is bog standard Sky (no PVR, HD etc). I am about to upgrade to Sky+HD.

The loftbox has a single SAT input, which is currently fed from the dish, then the combined signals feed down into the lounge via one cable where the signals are split out by an appropriate wall plate.

I understand for a Sky+HD install that the LNB is replaced with a Quad and two downleads are required. It also seems from other posts that the Sky installer will not go near a loftbox, even with gentle persuasion (or bribery :)).

1. Can anyone confirm my understanding above is correct?

2. If so, do Sky fit two separate cables for +HD or is it a twin/joined one?

3. Assuming Sky+HD will be installed as above (no loftbox connection, and direct cable from the LNB to a new 'standard' lounge wall plate feeding the new box), is there any point in trying to re-wire after the installer has gone i.e. to get one of the new downleads into the loftbox? Obviously I currently have the Sky box RF2 output feeding back up into the loftbox, and this will still work on the new Sky box, so is there any benefit on the new setup with having one cable from the LNB going via the loftbox?

Johnbyte

Established Member
1. Confirmed. Sky installers are not insured to enter loft spaces.
2. Yes - 'shotgun' cable i.e. two cables joined are used.
3. No benefit so far as I can see, apart from perhaps tidiness/aesthetics.

logiciel

It's only if it's important to you to record one channel while watching another that any change is needed.
If you do want it then you can just let the installer fit the new LNB and its twin cable direct to the new PVR.
However you say that the current system gives "TV/Sat/Radio distribution" and to continue with that you need the connection from distributor to dish.
When the installer is doing his two connections he could easily connect your existing cable to a spare LNB output, or you could have that done later.

zimbo000

Established Member
However you say that the current system gives "TV/Sat/Radio distribution" and to continue with that you need the connection from distributor to dish.
I originally meant in terms of the SAT 'distribution' being the RF2 output fed back up to the loftbox and the distributed out to all the TVs.

However the loftbox currently puts the Sky signal onto the combined output designated as 'Lounge' - but I wonder if I did re-wire to have one of the new connections from dish to loftbox then down into the lounge and back up again, is the Sky signal still on the cable? So if I fitted a de-mux wall plate in another room (as well as the lounge), would I get Sky in that room if I fitted a Sky box?

logiciel

No, each tuner needs a separate connection to the dish.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom