1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade of amp when bluray and hd-dvd comes?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wasabi, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi everyone,

Dolby has evolutioned their Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital Plus and as well as developing MLP Lossless, and DTS are introducing DTS++, to take advantage of Bluray and Hd-dvd.

Does this mean that amps will include 2 new formats from say next year's products?

I am quite cueless on this, but I'm sure we all would like to know.

Any opinions, news or knowledge appreciated.

I guess I'll keep my Marantz 4300 for a few more years until Bluray and Hd-dvd dvd players and amps and dlp 1080p's are a bit more mainstream. :smoke:

Wasabi

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I read recently that the agreed format for HDTV is likely to be something called JPEG2000. Whether that includes sound in DD, DTS or something new, I simply haven't got a clue.
    Chances are that you'll need a new AV amp along with a new DVD player and that neither will be cheap.

3. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the information that's already available in order to take advantage of the extra bandwidth from the audio side only, a receiver will need to be equipped with a digital connection capable of handling the extra bandwidth, possibly firwire. Coaxial and Toslink simply can't do it. Not sure though if we will need the new decoders in receivers to use the new HD/Hi-Res formats.

However this does not mean we will all need new equipment if manufacturers include, however many, analogue outputs on the new source equipment therefore negating the need for a high bandwidth connection to our receivers and possibly new decoders. This will mean that the decoding in the source needs to be top notch as in alot of cases currently it's inferior to what available in receivers.

Personally I'm going to wait nearer the release dates of BR/HD-DVD before I make a decision regarding a new receiver/pro. If I lose patience and feel the need to improve my setup before hand I will pick up a multi power amp as I don't think the amplification side of things need to change at all to use either of the new media rivals. All this new media stuff is still a bit confusing though isn't it? So please correct me if I'm at all wrong :confused: