Upgrade of Alpha 7 cd & amp

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by davidson, Nov 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. davidson

davidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i currently own an Alpha 7 cd player and amp with B&W 601 speakers. I have a budget of about £500 to spend on upgrading. Could someone please advise on what are the best options available. Many thanks. :smashin:

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possible suggestion - how about upgrading the 7 to an 82 ? (about £225 thru Arcam dealers) and getting a power amp (8P) if the speakers bi wire (£175 second hand). You might want to listen to a real CD82 first though (cos I doubt anyone auditions upgraded 7's) :) and check biamp makes a difference for the B&W's as I've not used those before/heard em.

Have fun - don't get carried away (speaking from experience :eek: )
    Andy

3. davidson

davidson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Andy. Will have a listen to a CD82 first, the speakers do bi wire so i may get the power amp too.

4. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    For your budget you can easily pick up a S/H Alpha 9 CD / Alpha 9 inhegrated amp combo. If you add the proceeds of the sale of your current CD/ amp you can pick an Alpha 9P as well.

This combo blows out of the water anything below CD93 / A80 / P90.

I have gone through very a similar upgrade myself. :) I, however, use the Missions 782, so could get plenty of benefits straight away.

Hope this helps

Scatter

5. A.C.E

A.C.E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is true scatter.

i have a 9,9 int and 9p biamping mission 752f. superb sounding, v musical.
    recently bought the 9, and still got the alpha 7. looking for other amps/speakers to make up a second system with it.