Question upgrade ? Need help , lots of negatives with room size and placement.

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by raduv1, Jul 8, 2015.

1. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Since 2010 ish I've hade a Vibe Monolith 5.0 package with a BK XLS200 sub running through a Onkyo 609. I've been happy ish (not really ) with it but I've just puchaced a JS9000 tv and if all goes to plan will hopefully be playing UHD HDR BD at the end of the year. With a UHD Player and AVR upgrade.

So it comes down to how best to improve my sound to go with the picture. Now to the bad news as my room size is 9ft wide by 13ft length, the tv sits across the width from us by about 7ft . The centre sits above the tv and the [email protected] channels sit across the width as in about 12ft apart along with the rears just behind the seating position. The sub sits just to the left of the tv and like the tv is under the stairs and is enclosed by the side/back wall and av unit :blush:.

So how do I improve this mess that I can't change the position of ? I would just like to improve the 5.1 TBH but maybe upward firing Atmos Speakers would be nice.

As you might expect my sub is all over the place wham bam and then nothing at all. So I was wondering if some sort of EQ might tame it a little ??? 8033c maybe ?

Need help on the correct path to follow. Sorry can't find the specs of my speakers here or on t Internet.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Maybe I should of put a budget in £1500/£2000 ish.

Was thinking about.
    BK XLS400 as it's the same size as the 200.
    Denon AVR-X2200W .
    Dali Zensor 3 for the L/R
    Dali Zensor Vokal centre.

I'd keep the rears as is but would like to add in ceiling speakers for a 5.1.2 set up.

Can't move anything around so was wondering if the 8033 might tame the sub down a little. Oh not even considering floorstanders in this tiny room but the zensor 3s seem to be regarded well for 2ch music although it would be 90% film .

Wish I could find some info on the vibe speakers to help.

Edit. Considering where my sub is placed , would a FF be better than a DF ?
    20150709_143923.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Your fronts sound too far apart and I would look to put them closer to the TV, even if this does mean putting them under the stairs.
    Room EQ could help with the sub but could you not put it on the other side of the room next to your seating instead?
    Some pictures showing the whole room may be useful for people to give suggestions.

4. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    This is how I'm set up on the front channels at the moment ( far from perfect ) and apart from going tiny sats for the front I can't see any options. 20150709_162330.jpg
    Left
    20150709_163045.jpg
    Centre
    20150709_162345.jpg
    Right

I have the option of putting the sub on the right but it's not wife friendly in that position. As you can see there is a walkway between the right channel and the tv so moving the speaker next to the rv is a no no. You fellas know far more than I so hope you can see some options that I'm not seeing.

5. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Oops forgot , rears are wall mounted same distance apart as the front L/R.

6. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    :eek: I must have a real problematic situation here :confused:.

7. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    The only speakers I could get close to the tv after looking about would be the QA 7000i . If I build out from the rear of the tv I could wall mount the LCR at ear height ish L/R 55" apart, 6 to 7 ft to MLP. I would also be able to add same again for the rears at the width of the room ( no room for backs ) but maybe add two more for L/R wides where my original speakers are now as the wires ae already in place. I would like to add 2 ceiling speakers just foward from the MLP for Atmos and a 7.1.2 but with front wides. Last but not least would be to upgrade my sub from the XLS200 DF to take account of the 7000i .

Would this be an upgrade in the sound stage ? It does give me food to experiment with 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 although I don't belive I would get the benifit of 5.1.4 because of the width from the tv to MLP being 7ft maximum.

If I go this route for the 7000i sats what sub do members suggest for my room size that will go low down ?

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Your current sub will be fine with the QA speakers so no real need to change. If do want an upgrade then the 400 or monolith would be good or look at SVS.
    On position I am not sure trying to cram more speakers at the side is a good idea. Atmos may be good above but again would be concerned about so many speakers in a small space. Could the room be turned around do sofa where tv is and tv where sofa is? This would mean less compromise on speaker location. Having the surrounds wider than the fronts would be fine and better than having the fronts too far apart. Have a look at the kef t series and monitor audio radius ranges.

9. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Can't move the room around I'm afraid to accommodate decent speaker placement . Going small sats would give me a better option on front placement for MLP though, and be wife friendly . I'm thinking that first off now rather than going full out is to get the 5.1 as good as I can get it for my room. Purchase a new AVR that will give me the option to experiment with more channels if need be (atmos/surrounds) in future. Now the big question, I would like if possible to keep the sub in its current position (picture from earlier post) and because it's boxed in from all sides was wondering if a FF would be more manageable than a DF in this position.

I know it's maybe a compromise going with sats but I want to get the sound stage as good as I can get for my room. I did alway believe my fronts were to wide as it has a disconnected feel . I will of course demo a few for size appropriate/sound wise and go from there. Thanks for your input as it's a bit of a nightmare.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Not sure front facing will make a lot of difference. I went from front to down facing with sub in a fairly confined space and heard no real difference in terms of boomy bass etc.

11. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    I know LFE is non directional but since I have got the new tv and av unit the sub is now really boxed in. When running Audyssey now it give my sub at 4mtrs away at -15dB and I have to turn the gain down so low to get the sub more in line. Because of position being boxed in from sides/back/above I wonder if this is why I get such distorted figures from Audyssey ?

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    With it being boxed in like it is it will have an effect on the sound output from it but do not think a front facing sub will be any different to be honest. It is about the position of the sub and not the type of sub that is the issue.

13. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Not sure if anyone is interested ,but here goes as a few decisions were made today.

After auditioning a few sats all with the Dali Ikon Sub I found the B&W M1 to be the best of the bunch considering size/comprise.
    So these will be my sats in a better placement than I have at the moment.

Sub will stay the same as I phone BK for advise and this is enough for my room but I'm having an 8033c delivered to cope with its placement.... see how it goes.

AVR will I expect be the 9.1 new model to give me room to experiment with further placement and atmos.

So basically it's going to be stages and getting the 5.1 as good as I can in my room first and going on from there.

Not had many responses but what I've taken away is " slow down " and work on the weakest aspect first.

14. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,429
    Ooh well wata you know, had the tv calibrated today and in tow was a very nice american fella from THX itself :eek:. Gave me some very valuable information and pointers of how to get the best out of my room a 5.1.2 atmos set up would be most suited to my room and my last post on front soundstage would be the biggest benifit. Might have to move the sub but it would benifit from EQ but small well placed decent sats would be an upgrade for me.