Upgrade my Xbox One X to Series S ?

deans6571

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Quick simple question really (couldn't find a similar discussion when I searched).....

Have had the One X for about a year and a half (bought second hand on here actually :) ) but now seriously debating whether its worth the update to the Series S (can't afford the Series X so that's not an option!!).

Don't think storage would be an issue (I know the One X has more than double the storage) as I only literally have a maximum of 2-3 games installed at any one time (I only install the games I am currently playing).

My reason for thinking about the Series S is to play some next gen stuff like Flight Simulator and to have a better all round experience. I have a 4K TV if that is a factor......

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It would all be a positive upgrade apart from games that don't have a Series S/X Update so you would be running in Back Compat the One S version of the games so they would look worse in a way to your One X versions you are used to playing.

Load times would be improved, framerates would be improved and GFX for Series S/X Updated Games would look great.

I have a Series S and Series X and every day I am impressed with what the Series S is capable of for £250.

It would all be a positive upgrade apart from games that don't have a Series S/X Update so you would be running in Back Compat the One S version of the games so they would look worse in a way to your One X versions you are used to playing.

Load times would be improved, framerates would be improved and GFX for Series S/X Updated Games would look great.

I have a Series S and Series X and every day I am impressed with what the Series S is capable of for £250.

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

Didn't realise this would be the case though:

".......games that don't have a Series S/X Update so you would be running in Back Compat the One S version of the games so they would look worse in a way to your One X versions you are used to playing."

That is a shame :( as I actually play quite a few older games on my One X.

Hmm....will have to have a re-think..!!

Seeing as your going from a 4K capable system to a 1440p system in the series S, it would be a slight decrease in resolution.

However, you would be looking at the newer series games, such as flight simulator and significantly better load times.

As an example, forza horizon 5 on the one x performs very similar to the series X in performance, obviously not the same but the difference is very small.

For £250 its a good deal for a next gen system, especially if your not fussed about a disc drive.

Seeing as your going from a 4K capable system to a 1440p system in the series S, it would be a slight decrease in resolution.

However, you would be looking at the newer series games, such as flight simulator and significantly better load times.

As an example, forza horizon 5 on the one x performs very similar to the series X in performance, obviously not the same but the difference is very small.

For £250 its a good deal for a next gen system, especially if your not fussed about a disc drive.

.....so I guess FH4 and FH5 would not look as good on the Series S vs my One X then ?

I do wonder why the One X cannot play MS Flight Simulator though - surely its more than capable ?!

.....so I guess FH4 and FH5 would not look as good on the Series S vs my One X then ?

I do wonder why the One X cannot play MS Flight Simulator though - surely its more than capable ?!

Watch some video's the One X vs Series X is quite a difference, Mostly 4K at 60fps and it looks stunning and plays really well.

FH5 looks stunning on both be it Performance Mode or Quality Mode.

Remember FH5 is Series S/X Optimised

It's not just the visuals though, load time, steady frame rates and quick resume also.

it would be in 1440p which your TV would upscale, or should do.

The main reason you can't play flight simulator on one x is down to its processor and the SSD is a huge difference maker, where the series S and X share identical ones.

Screen_Shot_2020_03_16_at_12.12.29.png

Not sure if you've seen comparison between one x and series x (i know series S isn't listed, but they're similar to series x)

I have seen this posted several times the last year but keep having to correct it, the Series S is not a “1440p system” it can pump out native 4K just fine it just all depends on the game in question.

Granted there are circumstances where the Series S will perform worse that the One X but I feel it’s important that people realise they are not buying a ‘limited’ to 1440p system with the Series S but many put it across as such largely down to how it was advertised pre-launch.

I’ve owned both and the Series S is a more capable machine overall than the One X. Sure you’ll lose a little fidelity here and there on old unoptimised games but you gain a lot of quality of life improvements like FPS boost, quick resume and short load times. These make much more difference to the user experience IMO.

The Series S puts out 4K no problem so don’t let that put you off either, it just renders games in lower resolutions than a Series X but it’s always upscaling and outputting 4K if your TV is capable. I’m using my Series S on a 65” 4K OLED and it looks absolutely stunning so resolution really isn’t an issue to my eyes.

It’s pointless buying a One X now, Series S with quick resume and solid state is in a different league. While the One X does indeed play some older titles enhanced for that machine better, I would look forwards towards what you’ll actually be playing on the new machine in the coming years.

There's already games that won’t run on the older machine (Flight Sim, Destroy All Humans 2), in a couple of years there'll be way more like Starfield and Fable, how many ancient games enhanced for One X are you really going to be playing at that point?.

This is interesting (and also a contradiction, no ?) :

1637047731403.png

At the top is states BC games will play best on Series X and S and yet at the bottom it says Xbox One X will get increased 4x resolution increase over the Series S??!

o_O

This is interesting (and also a contradiction, no ?) :

View attachment 1603630

At the top is states BC games will play best on Series X and S and yet at the bottom it says Xbox One X will get increased 4x resolution increase over the Series S??!

o_O

It's not a 4x resolution increase over the Series S, it's nearer 33% or maybe 25%? (sorry don't have time to do the exact maths this morning lol). The One X & Series X get a 4x boost while the Series S gets a 3x boost.

And for me I don't believe there is any contradiction, the resolution boost isn't the same as getting a better all round game play. Remember the FPS boost and Auto HDR feature are only supported on the Series consoles, plus the SSD makes a massive difference as well.

I remember going from my One X console playing FH4 and it getting 'choppy/judder' at times when lots of action was happening (such as a Forzathon) to having a lovely smooth experience on my Series S, even though the resolution was lower. For clarity both consoles were used on the same 49" 4K TV.

Obviously it's everyone to their own but I know I wouldn't give my Series S up for the older One X console.

I think you are over thinking it and looking at Spec sheets isnt going to help. Some people stating it's just a 1440p console are wrong but they have gone from spec sheets and not real life comparisons.

Just look at that Forza Video above on your big screen and tell me does the Series S version look inferior to the One X Version.

Honestly for £250 for a Current Gen Console its a cracking bit of kit. FH5 looks fantastic on it and so does the newly released Halo MP.

You are getting a lot of console in a small package on the Series S. I love mine, yes the Series X might have more P's but I never feel like I am slumming it on the Series S.

This is a good video

imo the Series S and X look better than the One X

Just watched that video on my 55" Samsung 4K TV - its interesting seeing all the differences on the big screen!

I don't actually think there is a lot of differences from the One X vs Series S but they are definitely there! I would probably play in the 'Quality' and 30 FPS mode rather than 'Performance' mode or 60 FPS (I've never liked the 'smoothness' that 60 FPS gives to games - kind of like the 'Soap Opera Effect' when you over do the settings on a 4K TV!).

How likely are we to see any discounted deals on the Series S on Black Friday do you think ?

This is an interesting topic to be honest I'm thinking of doing the same thing, do you get the benefit of ray tracing and improved lighting etc with the series S like the series X?

This is an interesting topic to be honest I'm thinking of doing the same thing, do you get the benefit of ray tracing and improved lighting etc with the series S like the series X?

It’s early days as yet with regards to ray tracing, I don’t think we’ll see it all that much on the PS5/XSX tbh, certainly not at 60fps+.

I think it will be even less common on the XSS, 60fps however I’m happy to report is pretty common place on the XSS so that and loading times are the big advantages over any last gen system at this point.

It's only 1080p though so the quality will be worse
Not to mention the delay, only tried it a few times but eh it felt horrible, don't mind trying out a game for a few minutes that way to see if I might like it but for that to be my primary way to play them, no thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom