1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade my Sony?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BruBoy, Jan 1, 2003.

1. BruBoy

BruBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Sony DVP-S715 for a few years now and I'm thinking of upgrading...

A couple of questions for you experts.

a) Is it worth upgrading to a newer model?

b) If so - what should I get?

I use the DVD player purely for watching films and I don't see that changing. I've a seperate audio decoder so picture quality is all. An S-Video connector is essential as I've a Squart cable I want to hold onto. My budget is around the £500 mark...

Thanks in advance & Happy New Year!

BB

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you wont be disapointed with a sony 900v available for half your budget if you shop around.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Personally, keep it until a repair is needed.

Maybe have a loan of a player of interest to see whether it's worth spending £500 for any PQ difference.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, consider Philips DVD-963SA @ www.unbeatable.co.uk £317.96.

plus £7.99 shipping.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Agree with gringottsdirect about holding on but if you really want to spend some money then the Philips looks good if your TV handles progressive scan otherwise the Pioneer 656 could tempt you. top picture plus SACD & DVD-A compatible - believe me these things are worth considering.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would keep what you've got. Spend it on something you havn't got ie subwoofer, upgrading to a 5 channel poweramp etc.