Upgrade my old FHD TV

rona94

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm going to buy a new tv but I'm really undecided. Main use for the tv will be gaming (with PS5 and Xbox Series S), straming from Netflix/Disney+/PrimeVideo and sports (mainly soccer). Currently have a Samsung Led C6000 but it's time to get higher standards

I'm not considering OLED cause burn in risk would make me crazy over time
So... I was going for a Samsung Q80T / Q90T , that has great gaming performances, good hdr (but no dolby vision), and hdmi 2.1 wih all features enabled. Also good audio quality, so maybe no needs to buy a soundbar. BUT i read too much about widespread dse problem and I don't think i want to get part of the panel-lottery..
That said, right now I'm more for the new Sony X90J, it has, based on reviews, great image quality, good gaming performances (but 18ms input lag vs 10ms of the samsung tvs) and less danger of dse. 2.1 Hdmi ports still doesn't support ALLM and VRR but sony says it's going to add it (should we trust? who knows), and probably i should pair it with a soundbar in future

What's your thoughts about these models? Are there any other raccomendations?
Thanks for all feedbacks and sorry for my english if there's any error

The Samsungs are near their lowest price as they're a year old and have been superceded by newer 2021 models.

The Sony is at its highest price as it has just been launched, this time next year it will be near half that price. It's hard to recommend buying any new models until at least Black Friday as that's when decent discounts start.
Also, I'd never buy tech on what they "promise" it will do in the future. An easy way to disappointment and frustration.

The Samsungs are near their lowest price as they're a year old and have been superceded by newer 2021 models.

The Sony is at its highest price as it has just been launched, this time next year it will be near half that price. It's hard to recommend buying any new models until at least Black Friday as that's when decent discounts start.
Also, I'd never buy tech on what they "promise" it will do in the future. An easy way to disappointment and frustration.
Hi, thanks for the answer
however, i0n not going to buy it right now, so i probably can waith for x90j to get cheaper. At the same price, which one would you prefer?

You won't be able to get the Samsungs in a short while as they'll be sold through and you'll have the newer models instead.

There are few reviews of the 2021 TVs available yet.

Since you're a soccer fan I'd consider the Sony XH9505 instead of the Samsung models for better motion.

If its gaming>soccer, then go for the Samsung Q90T instead.

New TVs like the Samsung QN90A/QN80A, Sony X90J/X95J are going to be too expensive having just released and aren't worth paying the extra over models from the year before.

If you do want a 2021 model, then you should halt your purchase to a time when the new models are discounted. That could be Black Friday or later this year.

In terms of tiers, you'd be placing the new X90J below the current XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T. Its more similar to the Q80T or Sony XH9005.

You won't be able to get the Samsungs in a short while as they'll be sold through and you'll have the newer models instead.

There are few reviews of the 2021 TVs available yet.
In stores near to my town, here in italy, there are still some q80t and q90t, that's why I'm
Since you're a soccer fan I'd consider the Sony XH9505 instead of the Samsung models for better motion.

If its gaming>soccer, then go for the Samsung Q90T instead.

New TVs like the Samsung QN90A/QN80A, Sony X90J/X95J are going to be too expensive having just released and aren't worth paying the extra over models from the year before.

If you do want a 2021 model, then you should halt your purchase to a time when the new models are discounted. That could be Black Friday or later this year.

In terms of tiers, you'd be placing the new X90J below the current XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T. Its more similar to the Q80T or Sony XH9005.
I'm probably gonna wait more time before I buy the new TV, since right now I wouldn't have the time for gaming

For me definitely gaming>soccer
And I know samsung tv are the best option probably but that dse.. I've seen video of a qn90a with terrible vertical bending on the background, can't spend that lot of money and then have that kind of things
Sony xh9095 don't have 2.1 hdmi, if I remember correctly

In stores near to my town, here in italy, there are still some q80t and q90t, that's why I'm
I'm probably gonna wait more time before I buy the new TV,

These are end of line TVs. If you wait until the Sony gets cheaper, the Samsungs will long have sold out.

Waiting is what gets you the best discounts, but its a risky game to play as TVs can also sell out. As long as you don't over-pay for a newly released TV though it shouldn't be a problem. You can always wait until discounts on the new TVs if you miss out.

Waiting is what gets you the best discounts, but its a risky game to play as TVs can also sell out. As long as you don't over-pay for a newly released TV though it shouldn't be a problem. You can always wait until discounts on the new TVs if you miss out.
yeah I know, however my bydget is 1000 (max 1100) € , so for example, 55" X90J is out of budget until it gets discounted
My local store has a 55" Q90T at 1100€ but I'm afraid of dse, specially cause the retun policy is really bad there so i would have problems for sure if I don't like it

Unfortunately DSE is a by-product of LCD TVs. It can also differ greatly from sample to sample. There will be Q90Ts with bad DSE, and ones with good DSE. Its not really something to worry about unless you're watching in darker conditions, as its generally not noticeable in light.

Tests indicate Sony TVs may be better with DSE as they have better gray uniformity, but also at the cost of vignetting in the corners. The problem with Sony is you need to look at the XH9505 or new X95J to be similar overall with picture quality to the Samsung Q90T.

The Sony X90J is not a good TV to compare to the Q90T and should instead be compared to the Q80T. Its HDR performance is quite worse, although perhaps that's not a concern if you are mainly going to be watching football?

Once you see the comparison with each TV you can see how expensive newly released models are. The lower end X90J is more expensive than the higher end Q90T. This is because one is a 2020 model and one is a 2021 one.

Unfortunately DSE is a by-product of LCD TVs. It can also differ greatly from sample to sample. There will be Q90Ts with bad DSE, and ones with good DSE. Its not really something to worry about unless you're watching in darker conditions, as its generally not noticeable in light.

Tests indicate Sony TVs may be better with DSE as they have better gray uniformity, but also at the cost of vignetting in the corners. The problem with Sony is you need to look at the XH9505 or new X95J to be similar overall with picture quality to the Samsung Q90T.

The Sony X90J is not a good TV to compare to the Q90T and should instead be compared to the Q80T. Its HDR performance is quite worse, although perhaps that's not a concern if you are mainly going to be watching football?

Once you see the comparison with each TV you can see how expensive newly released models are. The lower end X90J is more expensive than the higher end Q90T. This is because one is a 2020 model and one is a 2021 one.
There will not be a "main" use, but probably in order are 1) gaming, on ps5 and xbox series s 2) watching movies and tv series on netflix/disney+/prime video 3) watching sports. mainly soccer

Then definitely go for the Q90T.
Gaming will be better due to some Samsung-centred gaming features and 4k 120hz support. For gaming DSE is something that rarely is a problem.
Movies/TV - Samsung TVs have much better blacks than Sony, and get brighter too. Especially versus the X90J. When you use HDR on the Q90T you'll get fantastic picture quality that will be very striking.
Sports - Samsung won't be a slouch either, Sony maybe beat them in this area due to superior motion but since its your 3rd priority and most people are happy with motion then maybe it doesn't matter so much.

Ideally you want to compare the Sony XH9505 to the Q90T and not the X90J. Although even then with your priorities I think the Q90T is the better opion.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom