1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade my Denon A10SE...help required

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by andyasb, Jul 27, 2004.

1. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

Recently added and Arcam CD-93 and A80 amp to my system. Had been using Denon 2900 through a Denon A10 / P10 combo, Quad 11 / 12L speakers all round. GOBSMACKED by the difference!!! CDs in particular are breathtakingly better, and, using the A80 in power amp mode for home cinema, improvement on home cinema.

Made me realise not making the most of my speakers using the Denon amp, so want to replace, but need some guidance. I need 5.1 analogue in for DVD-A and SACD, digital in for Sky+ and DVD. Was leaning towards a sep processor and (do they exist?) 3 channel power amp to complement A80. Any bright ideas?

ta!

a

2. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Decided on getting the Arcam P90 / 3 as a power amp after getting a great price from my dealer, so this brings the problem down to the processor... How would people rate just using the Denon A10 amp as a pre-amp / processor? What would I need to look for to get a worthwhile upgrade?

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I would also consider seriously the halo range. I was using an Arcam A32 to power my front 2 speakers (Quad 12L's). The sound was good, but once I added the Halo A52 poweramp (5 channels which is even better for a cost of £1300) both my stereo and movies increased dramaticaly.

I use an older Yamaha 630 AV amp as my 'processor' at the moment.

As a side note, the difference between using my DV88+ and my RME 9632 sound card as a stereo source into my A32 was minor. It was only when I added the superior poweramp and used my A32 as a pre-amp only that the RME 9632 sound card totally outclassed my DB88+ in stereo terms.

CaM

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Andy,
    I was running a Denon A10SE through a pair of Linn LK100 power amps for the front pair of Linn Keilidh AKTIV bi-amped floorstanders and a big SVS active sub in an acoustically treated room.

I feed CD audio in digitally via S/PDIF and so never used the analog pre-amp stage of the A10SE so can't comment on that.

I was very happy with how well I could integrate the subwoofer using the Denon's STEREO mode and time-alignment delays, giving a deep, fast and tight bassline with clear vocals. I always found the added depth and tight bass control of the SVS sub preferable than the Linn Keilidh floorstanders alone.

I recently upgraded to a Tag AV32R bp192 EX processor, again via the LK100's for the front stereo pair.

The equivalent mode on the Tag is DIRECT+SUB which provides time-alignment and a crossover with sharp cut-off either side of the selectable 80Hz (like the A10SE) or 50Hz or 120Hz settings.

The result is that the subwoofer crossover region is a little dryer, even after complete calibration with SPL meter and 6/octave test tones. I'm used to a little heavier bass, where the Tag is probably cleaner and tighter. I think I've got a few more weeks of tuning the integration there and expect to tune it a little better with positioning, gain and time-alignment delay tweeks, whereas the A10SE had had years of tuning the delyas and placement in this room.

The Tag AV32R is a noticeable improvement and the more I listen and tune the Tag set-up the more I appreciate the imaging and slightly cleaner portrayal, but it's not like for instance the A10SE v.s a 3802 that I heard that was a little sharp.

I must add though that it doesn't make the A10SE 's processing for STEREO sound silly. I makes me realise what a true bargain it was at the time.

Having compared it's power-amps to a pair of companion Denon THX Ultra power-amps I also have, there's not anything in it, they may have more headroom, but I rarely listen above -7dB so don't need it for anything but the front pair. So I'm currently still using the Denon A10SE via it's 6-channel input to use it's five on-board power-amps to power
    Surround Back, Surrounds and Center (Kef Reference 200C bi-amped) and am happy with the results, especially being able to give the big 200C a clean, honest 2x 125W.

Hope this helps. If you are near Berkshire, get in touch if you want a demo.

cheers,
    Rob.