"Upgrade Me".

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
BBC4, 7 pm tonight - "Upgrade Me": Simon Armitage explores the public's obsession with upgrading to the latest technology.
Hopefully, the fact that manufacturers keep changing stuff annually and bombarding us with inducements may get mentioned too.
If you don't want to watch it on the telly, it's on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n1hwj/Upgrade_Me/

Seems appropriate for this site!

Derek

MikeTV

Distinguished Member
Maybe its me, but I seem to be accumulating a large number of gadgets that almost do what I want them to, but always falling short. I suppose that's post modernism for you.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I don't know whether it's because I'm getting old (26 & 3/4), but I seem to have gained some control over my impulse spending.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been speccing up an O/C i7 with 12gb ram, crossfire graphics cards, looking into water cooling etc..

Then today I just decided that it can all wait, and instead I'm ordering a £100 graphics card to replace my one that broke instead of upgrading my entire setup.

I even went to Game this morning to pick up a copy of Aion, then changed my mind. IF it wasn't £40 maybe I would have been more inclined, but I figure I've got enough games for now!

Newton's Ring

I've just spent £300 upgrading my pc - just the mobo, cpu, ddr and gfx - I suppose it's not a lot by some people's standards but it felt extravagant to me and, guess what, I can't tell the difference.

Fozzybear

I watched this programme last week and it's well worth a watch - fascinating and oh so true!

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Maybe its me, but I seem to be accumulating a large number of gadgets that almost do what I want them to, but always falling short. I suppose that's post modernism for you.

All you need is an iPhone and MacBook Pro and nothing will fall short ever again for you :D

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
What I really hated about the programme was how the iPod was not an MP3 player but instead MP3 players are iPods. I thought the look the Samsung rep gave him when he described the pebble MP3 player as 'Like an iPod' was brilliant but also rather damning on society as it shows just how ignorant people seem to be about an area of technology that 99% of First World citizens seem to own.

loz

Distinguished Member
What I really hated about the programme was how the iPod was not an MP3 player but instead MP3 players are iPods. I thought the look the Samsung rep gave him when he described the pebble MP3 player as 'Like an iPod' was brilliant but also rather damning on society as it shows just how ignorant people seem to be about an area of technology that 99% of First World citizens seem to own.

But no different to all cassette players being walkmans, vacumn cleaners being hovers and so on.

Like it or not the iPod is the bench mark for mp3 players, and anything else is going to be compared to them.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
But unlike your examples below which were the benchmark of quality (or atleast the walkman certainly was), the iPod is not what MP3 players should aspire to.

B12

Banned
Sounds interesting ... I'll look our for it.

I'm forever upgrading my computers and TV's ETC.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
It was on last Monday and wasn't very good. I didn't like the presenter. I liked the program Electric Dreams better as it was nostalgic. A family lived 10 days in the 1970's with each day being the next year. Next week is 1980's and noticed a lot of toys and gadget stuff I used to have.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
It was on last Monday and wasn't very good. I didn't like the presenter. I liked the program Electric Dreams better as it was nostalgic. A family lived 10 days in the 1970's with each day being the next year. Next week is 1980's and noticed a lot of toys and gadget stuff I used to have.

I agree entirely, the man became grating very quickly. Being a child of the 1990s (well 1989) I found the Electric Dreams programme interesting, I do lookup old technology as a hobby, but it was still good to see a more real-world example of technological progression. A guy at work has a PET computer on his desk I didn't realise it was as old as the '70s until I saw it in the programme.

B12

Banned

I recall a TV series years ago called Victorian Family (or something like that?) They put an average modern convenience family in a typical Victorian style house and they had to survive with no electricity and only the conveniences of the time, they were allowed to hire a house maid on their budget who soon did a runner, and as soon as the family in question discovered there were a few Fish and Chip shops back then, they were down to the Chippy every night ... No doubt devouring Barbecued spare rib suppers with mushy peas, curry sauce and a couple of bottles of Diet Coke to wash it down with :)

It was an interesting programme, but too much cheating.

Does make you realise how well off we are these days though.

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I agree entirely, the man became grating very quickly. Being a child of the 1990s (well 1989) I found the Electric Dreams programme interesting, I do lookup old technology as a hobby, but it was still good to see a more real-world example of technological progression. A guy at work has a PET computer on his desk I didn't realise it was as old as the '70s until I saw it in the programme.

I am 1970's but most of my gadgets started with the Sinclair ZX80 in 1981 followed up with the Commodore 64. I am still amazed the C64 was around for 12 years.:eek: Sony can't do that with their Playstations.

loz

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed "upgrade me" - watched the recording tonight on my "upgraded" Sky HD box :)

I visited Samsung in Seoul myself several months ago, and went to those offices that he visited. Very interesting place.

NookZ

No, it's just Post-Appleism. You make something that works but doesn't work well but atleast it looks 'Good' (although I would question that to).

I've never looked back since I installed RockBox on my iPod 5G :) :)

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed the programme, but also felt a bit frustrated with it too. There was a bit too much how and what but not enough why for my liking. The sections with the woman in the woods and the psychologist were too brief, I felt.

It's not enough to just look at mass behaviour, you learn a lot more if you focus on people who make a conscious decision to be off the treadmill and outside the loop. I suppose everyone starts off getting something for what it does, but then gets sucked into what it represents.

I am always interested in the dichotomy of whether we control something or it controls us, whether we are dependent or independent. And I really can't stand that flawed argument about "progress" - that advertising idiot said something along the lines that we'd "still be in the Middle Ages" if it wasn't for technology. Really? Spot the difference:

Wars - check
Disease - check
Poor public health - check
Wealth and power held by a ruling elite - check

You can add to that list modern problems like pollution due to the manufacture, usage and disposal of all this stuff, and massive debt to pay for it all.

It can sometimes feel that we are kept in a permanent state of infantilism, constantly looking for our next fix of gratification, and do these things really fulfil a need or create one?

I am a hypocrite: if you ask me if it makes me happy as I sit there watching an episode of "Star Trek:TOS" on my flatscreen through my 5.1, then I would undoubtedly say yes. But I would feel terribly uneasy if that is all I did with my time, if I were constantly changing things because I felt unfulfilled and empty inside.

Now feel free to demolish all my arguments!
Derek

neroon

But no different to all cassette players being walkmans, vacumn cleaners being hovers and so on.

Like it or not the iPod is the bench mark for mp3 players, and anything else is going to be compared to them.

I agree with all your other examples but I have never used the iPod term for mp3 players. In fact now I think about it I've never heard anybody else call their mp3 player an iPod . I would definitely say that unlike a Walkman (Sony or otherwise) iPod is not the popularised name for an mp3 player.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom