1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade market/trade-in return on AV kit?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Colgate7110, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Folks,

I was unsure whether to post this in just the Denon owners forum or the AV receivers forum so mods, please feel free to move this as necessary.

I've been looking at the 3806 snippets that are starting to appear and one of the things I love about my 3805 is video switching and up-conversion to component which happily routes all my kit into my PD30's single component progressive scan input. Given that I'm hoping to move to a plasma in the next 12 months with HDMI inputs and my 3910 and the PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to sport HDMI outputs, the HDMI upconversion and switching on the 3806 is an attractive feature. It's not a reason to upgrade in itself though so I'll need to see what other delights Denon to fit to the new version but here's the point of my question:

Assuming the 3806 launches at the same price point as the 3805 (which it probably will surely?) then is there a typical trade-in price that the likes of Sevenoaks offer for mint, boxed, complete kit? Similarly, what sort of second hand prices do you think a 3805 would fetch when the 3806 launches?

I appreciate this is all pure speculation but if anybody has any insights, say from when the 3805 replaced the 3803 or other brands, they'd be most welcome!

Cheers,

Colin

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have seen second hand prices vary from £550 to £650 on these forums in the last 4 or 5 weeks. Expect those to drop further when the 3806 hits the stores dependant on age and condition. I am happy with my 3805 at present because component switching is all I need at present. (My screen does not benefit greatly by connection via its DVI input) so I am in no rush to upgrade. I am much more likely to opt up to a 3910 or its succesor!

What dealers choose to offer as a part exchange is obviously up to them, but my prefered source can be asked to mediate between myself and a prospective buyer of my old kit, his benefit being the sale of the replacement model. This tends to be 'under the counter' though, bosses disliking the fact they didn't try to sell the buyer a new 2805/6 instead of oganising a second had 3805.