Upgrade LG tv or Playstation console ?

Stephen WAWAW

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi . Apologies , I am not hugely tech savvy and I hopefully can obtain some great advice from some of the Forum experts. I enjoy gaming and I currently own a LG 55 inch C7 Oled tv and I have a Playstation 4 Pro hooked up. Naturally with this decent tv ( approx 3 years old now ) and the enhanced performance from the PS4 PRO , I get a very good gaming experience . Here’s my dilemma : I wish to upgrade however I cannot afford to purchase both a new TV and also purchase a new console . From personal choice I wish to stay with a LG 55” Oled and a Playstation console . I totally understand the latest LG tv’s ( LG C9 or LG CX for example ) and the latest console in PlayStation 5 ( when its availability improves ! ) have the latest great specs in input lag , refresh rates , HDR performance, HDMI & bandwidth etc etc . However , if I cannot afford both a new tv and a console - what is the best combination for a improved gaming experience ? Should I keep my existing LG C7 TV and hook it up to a new Playstation 5 ? Or get a new LG C9 or LG CX TV and hook it up to my existing Playstation 4 PRO ? Approx current retail price on LG C9 or CX is £1300 - £1500 ) , to buy a PS5 disc version console ( not from the scalpers ) approx £450. Yes , Ofcourse from a cost point of view I am hoping the option of keeping my existing LG C7 tv and purchasing a PS5 is a better gaming experience than purchasing new LG tv and keeping with my Playstation 4 Pro. Has anybody upgraded recently with the same or similar tech to myself and will either upgrade be a small or large noticable step up seeing that my current tv & gaming console are not too bad . Thankyou in anticipation of your advice !

I'd get the console the PS5 is mostly a 4K 60hz machine and with 60fps more common on the console that will make using your existing C7 a better experience.

Upvote 0
I'd get the console the PS5 is mostly a 4K 60hz machine and with 60fps more common on the console that will make using your existing C7 a better experience.
Thankyou for your advice & time in replying. I will go with the PS5 when it eventually becomes more available !

Upvote 0
Yes, you'll definitely see more of a difference upgrading the console than upgrading the TV.

Upvote 0
A vote for PS5 again from me. Would love to have the gaming console being upgraded first if I look for a better gaming experience. I'm just a casual gamer but I heard a lot of positive reviews in PS5 so I look forward purchasing one.

Upvote 0
I have a PS5 and I'm using that on a 2016 LG, no problems at all. Right now there are very few games that really take advantage of HDMI 2.1 specs and once you nab yourself a PS5 (assuming you have PS+) you'll get a bundle of 20 games to choose from, some of which had a patch to run at 60fps at higher resolutions on the PS5. Off the top of my head I think only CoD and Destiny can run at up to 120fps.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom