1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Kef Eggs - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ramjam55, Sep 24, 2005.

1. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading my front sound stage, but not sure what to go for. I currently use Kef eggs all round, but would like to replace the fronts with floor standers and still use the eggs I have for the rears. Any suggestions as to what I could go for ?

Cheers

Dave

2. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I upgraded my center to an XQ2c which i picked up for a bargain, and this showed up the L & R egg's which were soon swapped for a pair of Q4's.

More than happy with the difference, especially with Music and film vocals.

3. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've started looking at the Q4, Q5 and Q7 along with the Qc9 or Qc6 as a center. I know that I'll have to change the rears and probably the sub later on but I'll manage with the eggs until I move house and have a dedicated cinema room :thumbsup:

I'd like to hear from owners of all the above so I can get a good general opinion of these, especially price vs performance. I'll be using a Denon 3803 to drive these. Also does anyone know where the best deals on the Q series are at the moment ? Lot of talk about these deals but so far google hasn't found any :(

Cheers

4. sharpee

sharpee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried Hi Spek (st Albans branch) I got a Q6 for £89.99 back in july.
    They where also selling the Q4s for £250.

5. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I'm pretty sure that i picked up my Q4's from HiSpek for £239. Bargain :thumbsup:

6. Guedo

Guedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my eggs for 5 years and just updated my fronts to a pair of iq7's and the iq6c for the centre, kept with the kefs for rears. Great now they have been run in for a week. Also using a Velodyne SPL 1000 sub

7. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've just go myself a pair of Q4s today for £250 :thumbsup: However I've had a change of plan and also decided to go for a pair of Q7s for fronts and a Q9c for center.

I'll then have to upgrade the sub as well.

Cheers for all the comments and suggestions.

Dave

8. Shytalk

Shytalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, any particular reason for upgrading the eggs? I'm only asking as I am looking to get some - they seem to get good write ups - are they not as good as people say
    Simon.

9. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Kef Eggs are a fine speaker. I'm still running 2 rears and a center for now. I just had an offer to buy my eggs and decided this was a good time to move up the speaker ladder, especially with the Q series being replaced with the iQ series, and plenty of bargains around. I also plan to setup a dedicated cinema room once I get my house sold and into a new one, so I'll have the extra space to put in bigger kit. I was going to use the Q4's for fronts and 2 eggs for rears but I like the look of the Q7's so going to get a pair of those for fronts and a Q9c center.
    If you don't have much space then the Eggs are perfect, but I think most will agree that floor standers are better than satellite speakers. Are you going for the full KHT 2005.2 system ?

10. Shytalk

Shytalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, I have limited space so the KHT2005.2 is what I'm looking at, I have a satellite set up at present; but it was only a cheap setup bought a few years ago and I want to improve on the sound.

11. ramjam55

ramjam55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Eggs are the way to go then and you can get these 2nd hand for about £50 per egg these days. You'll be impressed with what they can do considering there size. Subs a bit weak IMHO. I'll replace mine when I finish off the speaker upgrade.

12. Mr Good

Mr Good
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyones interested I am selling some brand new Q4's in maple for £200. Mail me with any further questions if you are interested.