Upgrade help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by robrggray, Nov 6, 2005.

1. robrggray

robrggray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just moved into a loft type building, high ceilings and a strange shape. My B&W 601's are now lost in the space and its a good excuse to upgrade.

The room measures about 25' x 18' with a ceiling height of about 10' although the surround sound area is more like 10' square. To add to the problem its tiled floow away from the surround sound area and I get a lot of reflections.

My question is what to upgrade to? I'm thinking of some more B&W's and in particular the 805's and to couple them with a decent size sub. I have a healthy mix of listening both cinema and music.

Is this a good idea? I'm thinking of trying to control the sound in the "surround area" rather than "more power" to fill the whole of the area. My gut is that more power will reverberate terribly.

Any thoughts about my dilema would be appreciated.

Cheers

Robert

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I would focus on the acoustics first. Everything else should flow from this. You might find the B&W's are able to interact well in your new room

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any speaker will suffer from the bad acoustics in your room, no matter the company\model. Try placing a rug, some thick curtains and hanging some pictures in the room. It will help a lot.