1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zog, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Considering 1 of the 2 options below. Opinions please assuming I spend the same budget either way.
    1/ Conversion of my existing Yammy DSP A-970 amp to accept (via d-con.) signal from a seperate DD/DTS decoder. The Yammy DSP E492 has been suggested. Cost of conv. £250 c/w cable. Cost of DSP E492 unknown.
    2/ Buying a new A/V amp/rec.

Don't really want to compromise by buying DVD with onboard decoder. That'll be coming at Xmas!

Will option 1 make things a little more flexible for future upgrades while ensuring best quality ?

Am I making any novice like errors?

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you insist on keeping your existing amp suggestion 1, whilst relatively costly, would appear to be a good bet. Option 2 is ideal but costlier still if you want a decent specced amp. If you're interested I have a Denon outboard DD decoder which is brand new, boxed, unused and highly praised in the press. Don't have the model number to hand (I'm at work) but got excellent reviews. Sorry, no DTS.

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would the Denon model be the AVD 2000 by any chance?

Cracking box, wish I had one.

Just one problem. If I remember rightly it won't do Pro-Logic from an analogue input.

The DSP-E492 is an option, but frankly if you're spending £250 to convert an existing box and then some more for the E492, you might as well go the whole hog and get a new receiver with DD & DTS.

Look at maybe something like a Denon 1602 (short of digital inputs & no pre-outs) or a Marantz SR4200. Both of these are available for under £300.