Upgrade help to all svs.

pmj_172

Standard Member
Hi all, I’m upgrading from a Q acoustics 3020 set and considering going all SVS in a 4.5m x 3.5m dedicated room.

The question is.....would a pb4000 sub be over kill matched with ultra fronts and Prime satellite rears? I already have monitor audio 165’s in the ceiling to go 5.1.4.
thanks for your help.

Peter.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@pmj_172 Which model you meant SB4000 or PB4000 as you said PB here and SB on other thread? :)

SB4000 surely isn´t overkill as we have members with multiple (2-5) similar products in about same size rooms. There is two SVS refurb/grade 1 units for 1500£ at AVO (forum advertiser). These are typically in mint shape with full warranty, but as always better to call if intrested.
Have you considered adding 2nd subwoofer later or sticking with one? If you aren´t familiar the benefits of duals then read this article:

PB4000 should work fine too and won´t be overkill cause it has room compensation feature so you can lower the low end if the room gain boosts it too much. If you crave the most impact/physical sensation then this should be very strong with 2-3 ports moving air! But PB4000 will take lot more floorspace and the placement will be important with any sub. You should download REW program and use the "room simulation" first to see which are optimal spots in your room and will the large box fit then. Also if you add 2nd sub in future..

Want to look couple more options? You don´t need to match speakers and woofers.

PSA S1512 sealed 15" (1500£), if you aren´t familiar with PSA.. Tom V has designed these. He was one of the guys putting up SVS years ago. Probably offers one of the best value/performance. The finish is not most gorgeous, but perhaps ideal for darkened man cave.

Arendal 1723 Sub 1S (sealed 13,8") / Sub 2S (sealed dual opposite 13,8") / Sub 1V (vented). The Sub 2S would be similar level to SB4000.

rccarguy

Probably want duals though so I'd say dual sb3000 at minimum, or pb2000 duals

pmj_172

Standard Member
Thanks all, to clarify it was the sb4000 I was considering due to the space issue.

That raises another question rccarguy has kindly mentioned. Lower my model and dual up with sb2000’s. A little more money but what extra would they give me that a sb4000 wouldn’t?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks all, to clarify it was the sb4000 I was considering due to the space issue.

That raises another question rccarguy has kindly mentioned. Lower my model and dual up with sb2000’s. A little more money but what extra would they give me that a sb4000 wouldn’t?
The general benefits you get with duals you can read from the article i linked. The question is could you add another SB4000 later? If there is possibility for it size wise and also ££ wise, then get the SB4000 now cause you are going to end up with better system if you decide to add 2nd. I only say this cause people start to crave upgrades and i would imagine if you had two SB4000 in that modest size room it would be enough for most people. If you get good response with one sub then even better.

Is that 4,5m width or length the way you have room order now? What about your seating, are they fully movable or if they are now in optimal spot for tv/screen then i need to know the "money seat" where you sit mostly how far it is from rear wall and side wall (closest)? So the distances from those walls to listener.

pmj_172

Standard Member
Thanks, the 3.5 is the width it’s how I have the room now, the seating is against the opposite wall to the screen on the 4.5 run. Not ideal but wife friendly.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks, the 3.5 is the width it’s how I have the room now, the seating is against the opposite wall to the screen on the 4.5 run. Not ideal but wife friendly.
Doesn´t look too bad depending where you & wife sit. First one is middle of the wall and the next one is more to the left example at the end of couch. But little bit to left (3rd picture) and things change with huge suckout between 50-60hz. This was with sub in corner. Sub at 1/3 front wall looks fine too as i assume you will have speakers at 1/4 (25% of length) locations spread more apart.

So at right you see the response. At left room information and below that you see where the sub is (front left corner) and the Man is where you sit and it shows the distance to rear / side wall. As i said it would be good if you download this program and you can then check various options where you can fit the sub, where you both sit most of times etc. Moving the sub or listener changes the response. I`m just learning to use this myself, but @Conrad. is usually first to respond REW related questions.

Last edited:

Conrad.

Looks good @Gasp3621, the only thing I'd suggest is that 25cm from a wall is probably a bit close. If you measure 25cm from the back wall I wouldn't have thought you'd actually be that close.

It's definitely worth downloading and playing with room sim just to rule out places that aren't good.

You can also turn on "to left" and "to right" which will show you in one response the two or three seats you have. It's worth looking even if you only care about your position. As we can see with these three measurements, 1m left/right can make a huge difference to the response.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
So, whilst it is good to state that the system is predominately a movie system, but how do you like your movies.

Loud with big crashes and bashes, big sounds some would say bass dominant

Or

Subtle, there when it is needed, but more subtle on the rest, only really notice the sub performance when you turn them off and it shows how much they work in the background. (My personal preference)

Different people like / want different things and thats why there are so many brands and solutions.

pmj_172

Standard Member
So, whilst it is good to state that the system is predominately a movie system, but how do you like your movies.

Loud with big crashes and bashes, big sounds some would say bass dominant

Or

Subtle, there when it is needed, but more subtle on the rest, only really notice the sub performance when you turn them off and it shows how much they work in the background. (My personal preference)

Different people like / want different things and thats why there are so many brands and solutions.
Definitely loud and we enjoy action films. But the sound we have now just doesn’t impress.
i dont have the room for the middle to high end pb models, so will have to be sealed. So should I go dual straight away, or upper end sb4000.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom