Upgrade help - Old Bose Lifestyle 25

Leeness

Novice Member
Hi everyone. It's a gazillion years since I posted on here.
I have had a Bose Lifestyle 25 for even longer than that and it's time to replace it. I've been waiting because we'd planned to move house and was going to do it then, but decided to stay now so its time to deal with it. All the speaker wiring is bedded into the walls, but it is all high quality cable that I fitted last time I refitted the room. It's probably now the best part of the system :)
The system is only used for TV.
What I'd like to do is upgrade the system step by step as I can afford to do it. I don't mind what order it needs to be done in.
I wondered if you guys had any advice. I'm sure you have.
I have no idea which bit to replace in what order. I thought potentially buying the receiver and bass unit then reconnecting the speakers. Then replace the speakers at a later date. I know the speakers will probably make the biggest difference in quality, but as I'm definitely going to replace them, I guess they can come later.
If I try to do everything at once, I'll have to spend less, so I thought the minimum pieces at a time would be the way to go.
I have the 5 surround speakers mounted as normal. Speakers are all at head height. Acoustimass is in a back corner. Room is pretty much square.
One point is that I hate clutter and visible cables. All my AV pieces are in the loft. Sky Q and the Bose unit use Bluetooth or Radio remotes so I can get away with that. The new receiver would need to have the same capability.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hey and welcome back!

Do you happen to have any pics of your room setup and measurements / dimensions?

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As above pics would be good.

BOSE Lifestyle systems don't tend to lend themselves to 'piece by piece' upgrading as the 'Jewel' loudspeakers rely so heavily on the Sub for audio processing and the Sub will not work that well with 'other' types of Loudspeaker.

The 'norm' would usually have the AVR (hub of the system) plus the Sub on the Front wall along with the TV and Front LCR loudspeakers rather than the Sub on the rear wall.

Joe

Leeness

Novice Member
image.jpg

Leeness

Novice Member
Sorry about the delay. i don’t get a lot of time during the week. First photo is obviously the front. Centre speaker is above the tv. Left and right front are at ear level. Rear speakers also at ear level. We tend to sit on the sofa facing the tv and rarely use the one at the side. Room is 5m front to back and 4m wide.
Based on one of the other threads I was thinking about CA Minx Min 22 for the 3 fronts and Min12 for the rears. Also the SVS SB1000.
Havent nailed the receiver yet.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Sorry about the delay. i don’t get a lot of time during the week. First photo is obviously the front. Centre speaker is above the tv. Left and right front are at ear level. Rear speakers also at ear level. We tend to sit on the sofa facing the tv and rarely use the one at the side. Room is 5m front to back and 4m wide.
Based on one of the other threads I was thinking about CA Minx Min 22 for the 3 fronts and Min12 for the rears. Also the SVS SB1000.
Havent nailed the receiver yet.

The Min 22s are bit too small for the front three. If you require small effect channels at rear wall then those can work or something like Kef T101 ultra slim white, keeps wife happy. However for the front three i would consider something larger more capable (on-wall?) to give you more noticeable upgrade from the Bose speakers. The speker placement is not ideal for the left main speaker and you having the cables coming from wall is problematic now then, shame you didn´t optimize the placement earlier. I would move the lamp in to corner and the front mains would come slightly closer each other, but that would require to pull the wires in new spots. The new center channel would also need to angled down if you were to keep it top of tv so quite tricky..

SB1000 Pro is great choice when compact sealed sub is required. However as Joe said i would also bring it at the front wall, especially if you use tiny satellites that relies on subwoofer so much. You also have UK based BK Electronics as option with real wood veneer, gloss finishes and also DF = down firing models meaning there is no grille or driver visible. This is basically like wooden furniture then. BK uses internet direct business model so one middle man less means lower pricing.

For av-receiver something like Yamaha RX-V4A / V6A. Also Denon new model X1700H or X2700H as the price difference is so small. Yamaha has 4 (8k) inputs, Denon X1700H has 3 inputs (8k) and X2700H has one input (8k). But where Yamaha cut corners is here:

You can compare models/features on the site below, just forget the bigger power supply/power consumption as manufacturers can show this different ways so they are not comparable between different brands.

Leeness

Novice Member
The Min 22s are bit too small for the front three. If you require small effect channels at rear wall then those can work or something like Kef T101 ultra slim white, keeps wife happy. However for the front three i would consider something larger more capable (on-wall?) to give you more noticeable upgrade from the Bose speakers. The speker placement is not ideal for the left main speaker and you having the cables coming from wall is problematic now then, shame you didn´t optimize the placement earlier. I would move the lamp in to corner and the front mains would come slightly closer each other, but that would require to pull the wires in new spots. The new center channel would also need to angled down if you were to keep it top of tv so quite tricky..

SB1000 Pro is great choice when compact sealed sub is required. However as Joe said i would also bring it at the front wall, especially if you use tiny satellites that relies on subwoofer so much. You also have UK based BK Electronics as option with real wood veneer, gloss finishes and also DF = down firing models meaning there is no grille or driver visible. This is basically like wooden furniture then. BK uses internet direct business model so one middle man less means lower pricing.

For av-receiver something like Yamaha RX-V4A / V6A. Also Denon new model X1700H or X2700H as the price difference is so small. Yamaha has 4 (8k) inputs, Denon X1700H has 3 inputs (8k) and X2700H has one input (8k). But where Yamaha cut corners is here:

You can compare models/features on the site below, just forget the bigger power supply/power consumption as manufacturers can show this different ways so they are not comparable between different brands.

Thanks @Gasp3621 Can you explain about the speaker position at the front. It maybe the photo, but the left and right speakers are equi- distant from the centre line of the tv and at exactly the same level. The sofa is faced dead centre to the tv. It would follow then that either both left and right are wrong, or they’re both right. ?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The left speaker is mounted on left wall, you can´t do this with other brand on-wall speakers which would be installed flush against wall, also speakers in corner is not ideal. Subwoofer is different thing.

I was thinking something like Kef T301 + T301c or Dali Oberon On-Wall but the center channel Dali Oberon Vokal is normal sized deep so likely not option then as Dali made big mistake not offering the On-Wall sold as single. Monitor Audio Radius 225 x3 could be option too, but these are the type of speakers that won´t be angled so low depth and they go against front walls.

Leeness

Novice Member
The left speaker is mounted on left wall, you can´t do this with other brand on-wall speakers which would be installed flush against wall, also speakers in corner is not ideal. Subwoofer is different thing.

I was thinking something like Kef T301 + T301c or Dali Oberon On-Wall but the center channel Dali Oberon Vokal is normal sized deep so likely not option then as Dali made big mistake not offering the On-Wall sold as single. Monitor Audio Radius 225 x3 could be option too, but these are the type of speakers that won´t be angled so low depth and they go against front walls.
Ah I see thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom