Question Upgrade graphics card?

rick1409

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hello!
Purchased a pc from these very forums about 5 years ago and it’s still running perfectly. My son has just started getting into pc gaming and I was wondering if I could upgrade the graphics card as it struggles with fortnite etc on medium settings.

Specs are:
intel i5 3570K CPU
MSI Z77A-G45
16GB DDR3 XMS Corsair RAM
MSI HD 7850 1GB

Gaming will only be at 1080p. What card could this pc handle for around the £150 ish mark? Or is it worth just starting again and building something new?

Many thanks for any help...
Rick

A GTX 1050ti or a 1060 -(which will be better) will do the job , which would be around the price your look at ,
have you got a decent cool on that CPU? , with it been a K version you can overclock it , which would help a little bit in getting a few extra FPS within games .

Last edited:
Yeah has got a decent cooler, I have a look into overclocking it. I’ll also look into the 1060.
Thanks a lot,
Rick

make sure the power supply can handle the upgraded graphics card

A GTX 1050ti or a 1060 -(which will be better) will do the job , which would be around the price your look at ,
have you got a decent cool on that CPU? , with it been a K version you can overclock it , which would help a little bit in getting a few extra FPS within games .
You want the 1060 6GB model, which is more than £150
I'd go for this personally. Similar speed to the 1060, a lot cheaper and you get two free games.
Powercolor AMD RX 580 8GB DDR5 Red Dragon Graphics Card | Ebuyer.com
Or buy second hand. A 1060 6GB should be in your budget 2nd hand

Also, download MSI afterburner and mention CPU usage. Fortnite should be ok, but other games may be bottle necked by your processor

You want the 1060 6GB model, which is more than £150
I'd go for this personally. Similar speed to the 1060, a lot cheaper and you get two free games.
Powercolor AMD RX 580 8GB DDR5 Red Dragon Graphics Card | Ebuyer.com
Or buy second hand. A 1060 6GB should be in your budget 2nd hand
Yea , i was thinking second hand while typing , just forgot to mention it :facepalm:,
i did have a quick look on ebay and there's few going for that price ( 150ish)

the RX 580 is a choice too, but seen as i have never used an AMD card , i can only recommend what i know....:)
but seen as you get two games free , the 580 is worth buy i guess .

Thanks for all the replies, appreciated!
Power supply is more than enough for the 1060. I’ve just put an offer in for a 1060 6gb on the forums for £145, just waiting for a reply. I was thinking second hand but forgot to mention it also...
Cheers guys!!

Power supply is more than enough for the 1060. I’ve just put an offer in for a 1060 6gb on the forums for £145, just waiting for a reply. I was thinking second hand but forgot to mention it also...
Cheers guys!!
Nice one! You can overclock that CPU pretty nicely too as long as the temps are ok. Should be able to hit 4.2/4.3 easily if you're lucky maybe 4.5. With your new GPU that will be a nice 1080p gaming machine you have.

Cheers guys!!
Was about to post it but realised you have already put an offer in

Cheers! My son can't wait now. I'll play around with the overclocking once the new cards installed. Need to get him a decent keyboard now as well, wonder how long it will be before he's asking for a 4k vr ready beast of a pc!!!

Cheers! My son can't wait now. I'll play around with the overclocking once the new cards installed. Need to get him a decent keyboard now as well, wonder how long it will be before he's asking for a 4k vr ready beast of a pc!!!
Next week!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom