1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade gfx or cpu?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by sk4nky, Oct 26, 2004.

1. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a pretty old williamette p4 1.7/512/gf3 ti500 desktop here, and would like to upgrade it to be able to play some recent games, doom3, hl2, cs:s etc being top of my list.

i dont care about AA and super high resolutions, just need it to run games smoothly. heck i'm used to playing my games at 800x600 or even 640x480.

would going from a herc gf3 ti500 to say a radeon 9600 pro or standard 9800 be much of a benefit based on the cpu i have?

or will i be better off getting a new cpu first? (which also means a new mobo+ram, rambus, yuck! --which i cant really afford atm)

thanks!

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Like I have been telling lots of people recently, wait for the new Gfx cards 6600GT and X700 which promise good value for money.

Then in 6 months time you can upgrade your CPU/mobo and not have to upgrade your GFX card again.

My 9800Pro is already looking a bit stale :p

3. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sooner or later you'll need to replace both anyway, so I'd suggest going the Athlon 2500 and a cheap PC chips m/b first, both should only cost about £75 and possibly could use your exsisting ram. As for Graphics maybe a lower end Geoforce 5700XT, I use the ATI 9600XT but in future I stick with Geoforce cards! they have better drivers!

4. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not as much a pc gamer as i used to be due to having my consoles hooked up to my av system. and even now its only things like doom3/half life2 that could tempt me back to play pc games.

dont think i can afford or justify the cost for the current spec cards as i simply dont play pc games all that often, which is why im looking at a 9600pro or a 9800 regular.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    yeah you will need a full new PC with more RAM and a faster CPU. if you get a new CPU you will need a new mobo and so on. You have to match the CPU with the right mobo and RAM.

As sinzer suggested, get a new graphics card first them when you do decide to upgrade the rest, you can still use the new card. (make sure you are getting the right kind of card too. AGPX8.)

Still, these days you dont have to sell a vital organ just to build a decent PC.

Do some research and set a price for yourself. Canibalize parts from your older PC. Like CD-Rom or DVD-Rom, floppy, even HDD Drive. (unless its full)

You might also want to upgrade your OS. Get XP unless you already have it.

I thin all in all you can build a decent fast PC with about 500 quid.

6. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its about £75 for a 256Mb XFX GeForceFX 5700 LE (D-Sub, DVI, TV-Out) only £10 more than a ATI 9600, plus £75 for m/b and CPU and the whole kit could be less than £150, half the cost of some AGP gaming cards! :thumbsup:

7. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there much difference between a FX7500LE to a regular 5700? and where are you getting those prices? :)

8. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually lemme rephrase my question/situation:

what ort of gfx card will my CPU start being the bottleneck when playing games (doom3/hl2)? ati 9600? fx5200? fx5700?

for the time being i cant afford nor justify a top of the line card so im looking for mid range.

9. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly not speed wise just a bit tweaked...
    look on http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly for some graphics options or try ebuyer for the CPU and M/B possibly the graphics aswell as this will save on postage, I've built quite a few with this spec for low end gaming machines.
    hope this helps :)

10. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say about a bottleneck but a new graphics card will help and I'm sure you're PC will cope for some time, the 512mb memory helps.

11. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoa nice prices! might cheep out for a 128Mb XFX GFX5700LE T/D (DVI Tv/Out) for £52..

..either way, its gotta run doom3 better than my gf3 ti500 right!?

12. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but don't expect those high resolutions :laugh:

13. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nah im low resolution man (see the first post) :p
    ta for yer help.

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Ummm not to burst the bubble but my 9800Pro only manages DOOM3 with 800x600 running at a semi-decent frame-rate I usually play at 640x480. That is with an Athlon 2200+.

I would not recommend a 9600Pro as a decent upgrade for either Doom3 or Half Life 2.

Definately the former game is something that needs a decent splash of cash on it. Admittedly the HL2 demo seems to run fine on my PC at a good frame rate at 1024x768, so it may be ok for that.

9800 Pro is the bare minimum, buying cheap is a false economy. You would be better off buying an X-Box.

15. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for your info,
    I tried Ebuyer and thought you'd like the prices

PNY Verto Geforce FX5700LE 8xAGP 128MB DDR With TV-Out And DVI Retail Box

AMD Sempron 2500 (sda2500box) Processor 256Cache 333FSB Retail box with 3 year warranty
    PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 will Take Upto a 3.2+ AMD Athlon XP And Sempron CPU's Retail Box

£128.16 including VAT and Del! :clap:

16. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i'd seriously have to start considering AMD's at those prices! how well does a sempron 2500 compare to intel processors?

im pretty sure i'd have to buy some ddr ram to go with it too, my 512mb of rambus is pretty worthless :)

17. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sempron is Ok, it would be better finding a Barton 2500 cpu but these are getting rare now you could find the 2700,2800 both these are good value and fast but of course dearer than the 2500. I don't prefer AMD to Intel but they do offer good "Bangs per Buck" and I've found then to be excellent chips.
    Make sure you get the 333 bus speed not 266 as most AMD 2600's are 266 bus and these are not as fast or overclockable as the 333 bus of the 2500 + range

All the best :)

18. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    lol i just had to laugh at that one :laugh:
    drivers only make sure the card runs well on the system. Ati's are fine, there was just a bad time when WinME/WinXP/Win2000 was released and many users reported bugs giving nvidia users a laugh at us.
    and even if they are "worse" than nvidias it still wont make up the extra sheer power of an ati card :p

19. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats an helpful post.....
    I know what drivers do and I use ATi cards but have found to my experience Nvidia drivers are more stable than some of the latest catalyst drivers....Doom3 ATI released temp drivers for example!
    I don't need to argue about "my cards faster than yours etc." I was offering some advice I thought SK4NKY would find usefull.

20. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i just upgraded my old geforce 2 for a 9800 pro and have to say its made a world of difference now when i play halo i get gen smoke no lag etc worth the money check out my earlier thread(ps avoid 5700 le my mate bought it the cards performance istn much to right home about)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155369

:hiya: