• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from Zensor 1 to Focal 806v for Arcam a19

Sanjbmw2001

Established Member
Hello All,

Just bought an Arcam a19 running with zensor 1+Wharfedale Sw150
Would the focal 806v be a good upgrade to pursue and does it complement the arcam.
Usage - - - - mostly tv and music. Type of music..... Indie, 80s, classic rock and ballads
I'm not in a position to demo them therefore soliciting advice from this forum.

Many thanks.

Sun. J

ajbaker

Established Member
I demoed a pair of Focal 705's recently, and compared them to the Zensor 1. Both fab speakers, the Focal going a tiny bit deeper but the Zensor resolving more detail. To my ears, I preferred the Zensor.

Take of that what you will. The 806s of which you ask would hopefully be better since they are a higher product category in the Focal range.

I look forward to reading other thoughts.

Applenoob

Banned
What other makes of speaker are you able to consider apart from Focal?

What about further up the Dali range?

Dynaudio, B&W, Monitor Audio & KEF all work well with the A19

PSM1

Distinguished Member
PMC work well with Arcam but are not cheap. What is your budget? Would you consider secondhand?

Sanjbmw2001

Established Member
The focals are on a special at £399.00 that's why I am considering them. And that would be my budget also.

I'm quite happy with the zensor 1 but if Sq can be improved substantially the amount of the focal I'll surely consider them.
Will consider serving hand but cannot buy here as am a new member.

Many thanks to all

Applenoob

Banned
If you're after 2nd hand you don't just have to buy off here but appreciate you'd know what you're getting buying from sellers on here also :)

See if you can find the likes of Dali Lektor 2's; they'd do very well with the Arcam amp

These would work well too: For Sale - Kef Q300 Speakers | AVForums

Monitor Audio BX2's, B&W 685 S1's and Rega RS1's would all work very well also :) All can be found 2nd hand/ex-demo easy enough too and will be well within budget

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have seen pmc db1 and even tb1 go for around your budget on places like ebay. They would be a significant upgrade over the dali. Not sure what you need to do to buy front here but could be worth the wait to get a bargain.

Applenoob

Banned
The PMC DB1's would be a good move; what about Neat Motive 3's? Rarely see them up for sale though unfortunately :(

Monitor Audio GX50's would be worth looking at just not sure you'd get them with budget?!

Another Monitor Audio speaker would be the fantastic RX1's or even the bigger RX2's... There's a set of RX1's currently on the Bay; would be well worth considering and will gel with the A19 amp very well indeed :)

Last edited:

Sanjbmw2001

Established Member
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

From all I have read the focal 806v is either not that well known or not too many folks have them.
I can wait for the right speakers, however to be specific..... Are the focal 806v a good upgrade for the Arcam a19

Applenoob

Banned
The Focals are good speakers but personally better can be had for the same budget and they're mentioned above!

Why is it that you're unable to demo?

Buying blind can be a dangerous game!

Sanjbmw2001

Established Member
Thanks Applenoob

You are right. Let me go and demo the speakers mentioned in this thread.

Many thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Paul Selwood

Established Member
Did you upgrade your speakers, and if so yes what too. Plus how does it sound. As I got acram a19 too with epos epic 1 speakers, and I am thinking of changing my speakers.

Sanjbmw2001

Established Member
Hello

Yes I did upgrade them to Focals 806v.
Better soundstage, more clarity and separation.

You can try the KEF 50, which are known to go well with the Arcam.

Paul Selwood

Established Member
I herd the kef kef 50. I think they were over rated. Now I dynaudio 2/6. Well happy with them. I have been thinking of going down to one box. Marantz 610, maybe naim

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom