Question Upgrade from Z5 PJ, which one?

Matt007beer

Established Member
Reaction score
It's time to upgrade my trusty Sanyo Z5 but which 2nd hand PJ should I go for?

Room is 5mtrs square with a vaulted ceiling and 4 roof windows so light control is difficult (we normally wait until dark before watching so this time of year the PJ gets used but not so much in summer. Would like to change this so a brighter PJ and black out window blinds may be in order). PJ wall is grey but side walls are white.
Manual pull down screen, 92". PJ is sat on cupboard at rear of room
Normally watch dvds or sky inc netflix.

Budget around £500

Seen available on the classifieds:

Epson EH-TW9000W
JVC DLA-X35
Sony VPL-HW40ES
Panasonic PT-AT6000E

Which would be best for my set up? Open to other suggestions around that budget.

This isn't a deal breaker but my Sanyo has a motorised lens cover so when I switch it off I just press the button and leave it. Do PJ's 'without' a motorised cover need the lens cover putting back on every time you switch them off? Or could you leave the cover off? Not for extended periods obviously.

Any advise greatly received ;-)

60 views but no reply, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhh the Sanyo Z5 was my first projector, loved it. I moved to a Epson TW5500 which i currently still have. As i use my projector daily i will be honest i never used a lens cover. If i wasnt going to be using it for a while i would. Obviously if your room is a dust magnet then its recommened.

First i would use a thow calculator to see if the above projectors fit the screen size/ Distance/Lumens you want.

Then i would check replacement Bulb prices as if they used a new bulb will be on you shopping list at some point.

In terms of the above i have not used those models but tried newer versions.

I remember the Sony 40es being recommended alot as great performance for cost.

Id do your best to work on the room to prevent as much light/reflections to get the most out of the projector you choose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom