1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from Yamaha DSP A1000 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by admrbs, Jan 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. admrbs

admrbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here and i would like to pick your collective brains. I've been into AV for over 10 years and i have had a Yamaha DSP A1000 amp from new, which has now developped an annoying fault on the input selector switch in that it drops the left hand channel intermittently on some of its inputs. Cleaning with electronic contact cleaner restores this for a short while, but I'm know getting fed up losing my left channel and moving this 60lb lump around is no joke either, Incidently i was quoted £60 just to take the top off and they estimated anything up to £100 for a selector switch if they could get one !!! plus fitting etc etc.

so I've decided that it is probably wise to buy a new amp or receiver, rather than spend any money on "old faithful" and it will enable me to go "digital" in that i would like to utilise the digital outputs from my Pioneer DV 565A (i use this for both DVD and CD playback, pioneer CLD2850 (that's a laser disc) SKY+ & Echostar DSB808 sat receiver. The new amp or receiver will need to drive B&W 603's mains, B&W centre speaker, Yamaha active sub and Wharfedale Diamonds as rear surrounds. I'm sure you'll be saying there's an odd combination, but its been accumulated over a long period of time.!!

now the crunch , I've only approx £300 to spend and the new amp/rec's got cope with all of the above, having read quite a chunk of the forum, it seems that i should be auditioning Denon 1905, Sony DB795, Pioneer VSX 550, or Yamaha RXV650, i'm assuming that the technology has moved on so much that at this price point i should be getting the same sort of "sound quality" that i got from the £1000 price point of the Yamaha DSP A1000.

thanks in advance for taking the time to read the above and i look forward to reading your recommendations

Cheers

Andrew.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If your only concern is the left channel droping out and your happy overall why not buy two monoblocks to power your front two speakers. Ofcourse you'll need pre-outs from the yammy but thats it (probably).

I think the concenous is that decoding techinology and video switching/'value added' function have increased but the quality of the amplification section hasn't moved on much per sector of the market.