1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from Win ME to XP a good idea?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pollywoggle, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    My son is at university and his Athlon 1.4 pc has win ME as the operating system. To be honest he has loads of probs with it. He recently bought a wireless network card to share internet with the others in his digs but can't get it to work, do you think an upgrade to XP would be beneficial?
    If so, where would be a cheap place to buy a copy?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    In my opinion XP is a much more stable operating system than ME which I had on my last computer. But a clean install would be the way to go. I.e wipe the hard drive and install XP new. I usually find loads of little problems and errors when doing an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Saying that though I don't know if the spec of his PC is up to it. Hopefully someone can clarify if it's ok?

If you do a search on the usual computer sites such as Ebuyer, Scan, etc you should find a pretty cheap version.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    His PC is upto it. I run XPpro on a celeron500 with 192mb of RAM.

Memory is more of an issue - make sure the PC has 256mb RAM as a minimum - ideally 512mb

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    OEM versions of XP can be obtained when buying hardware relatively cheaply (£60ish - check out eBuyer). Having 512mb of RAM is also a good suggestion so you could tie the two in together :)

I finally persuaded my father to upgrade our home PC from ME to XP a few months ago - it's FAR more stable now - never did like ME, we had problem after problem - especially when swapping out/upgrading Hardware... Go for it!

K.

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for the responses, rapid as always :thumbsup:

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd stress again what Greg said, do a CLEAN INSTALL, you'll save yourself a lot of heartache which otherwise can strike if you simply upgrade the ME installation to XP .. devices cease to work, conflicts occur in some software and the newer O/S components, etc. etc.

It's well worth the pain of having to re-install everything. If possible the best idea is to buy a cheap drive and install cold on to that, connecting your existing one to the other controller so you can copy back documents and other things once you've re-installed the applications. As Kelvin noted you can get an OME copy of XP with a disk drive so that'll save you some money over the retail version which'll almost pay for the disk itself, if you've no other hardware upgrade that's needed.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I see that loads of people are selling XP on Ebay, I guess that most of these are OEM versions, are they worth buying?
    I'm a bit confused with them anyway as some have keys and Certificate of Authentification, some just a key, some just the disk?

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Why play with fire??? Order from www.ebuyer.com ! Excellent service, reliability and security!

I had a few probs setting up a wireless card with win 98 - have u remembered to disable the wired LAN in the 'system' set up?

Updated the hard disk and installed Win XP a few months later...so much easier when upgrading graphics cards and setting up wireless networks etc

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :laugh:

You might want to google before recommending them so freely!

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You've lost me?!

I only recommend them due to personal experiences...have ordered items from them a number of times, including Windows XP twice.

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'd agree with the ebuyer recommendation - I use them for pretty much *everything* and provided the goods are in stock, I nearly always receive them within 48 hours. Don't let the horror stories scare you. I'd be willing to bet that for every irate individual willing to shout about it, there are 20 other happy customers :)

I placed a bulk order with them just last Tuesday for a load of PC bits and had received it all by Thursday (albeit in two parts due to different warehouse locations).

K.