1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from Stereo to multi-channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shawkins002, Apr 25, 2003.

1. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A mate of mine is looking to upgrade his system to 5.1 with a budget of £500-600.

He currently has a NAD 320 / 520 Amp/ CD combo with a reasonable pair of Hi-fi speakers (I forget which make, but he bought them with the NAD gear from a good store, so presume they are of a similar quality).

Also has an LG DVD player which does the job - digital coax out, RBG scart etc.

He's thinking of trading in his stereo equipment and going for a multi-channel amp, a center speaker, two rears and a sub.

I am aghast at this, and my advice to him is to go for the Accoustic Energy Aego P5 for his surround, and keep his stereo gear for stereo purposes. With this budget, not looking to build a world beating system - just the best that can be got for the money.

Is this decent advice? What other options are there? I don't know much about multi-channel processors or how they may fit in to the equation with his amp - I suspect this may be an alternative.

Thanks

Simon

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha DSP-E800 ~£300 for processing & with three amplifiers (for Centre, Rear pair)

Then add a centre speaker matching his existing L/R's.

Rear bipoles/dipoles/standard speakers, depending on room & preference.

Subwoofer

Take the L & R pre-out from the Yamaha DSP-E800 into a spare input on the Nad- when watching DVD's flick over to the input and set to correct level (using test tone calibrate)

Coaxial phono to phono from DVD to Yamaha. Connect the centre & rears to the Yamaha.

That he's got the existing stereo setup, and can add just what he needs.

3. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. Do you think that we could get the Yamaha, a centre, rears and a sub for £500 that would sound better than the Aego P5?

4. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK the Yamaha processor doesn't do Pro-Logic II if that's important to you... otherwise it's received excellent reviews.

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Yammy DSPE800 to add multichannel to my Linn gear. It's a great bit of kit really, sure it doesn't have DPLII but personally I only listen to DD/DTS 5.1 through it so it's not a prob for me.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    A full AV amp/reciever for £300 would probably give better facilities than the E800 ... just connect it in the same way an ignore the 2 front channel amps in the reciever. £250 for a Marantz SR4300 or Yamaha AX630 would be a good place to start looking. Add a centre speaker to match left and right and a pair of cheep speakers for surrounds (Mission 700 or KEF Cresta 1 are both around £50 from Richer Sounds).

For £300 you could get a 6.1 capable AV amp with PLII ... and probably better sound quality than the E800 too. The E800 is past its sell by date really and Yamaha have (IIRC) publically stated that they arn't planning to replace it in their range ... that the AX630 (or similar) does the same job better now. The E800 isn't worth replacing for many people ... but doesn't make good sence if buying new now.

Vikki

7. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Vikki - I was thinking that. Just to clarify, if you had the NAD stereo gear with 2 decent fronts, and £500, what would you spend it on to upgrade to multi-channel? An all in one box (e.g. the Aego), or a <£300 amp and 3.1 cheapish speakers? I still think the Aego is the best way he can go.