1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from Sony 930...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Punce, Oct 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Out with the old and in with the new.

I'd like a new receiver to take place of the Sony 930 that I'm shifting soon. And I really want to notice a difference.

Here's what I run through it:

PS2 - Component
    Xbox - Component (soon)
    Sky
    HCPC - (Audio only Coax spdif)
    2 x VCR - Scart composite

I have a Panasonic AE100E projector that I feed VGA from my PC straight in, but I also have component inputs on the pj, so I would like to be able to convert other formats to component.

I've been thinking about the Denon 3803, as it does the Component converting. Would this be the one for me? or is there another option out there? The price of the 3803 is around my budget.

Q. If I want to output to both a TV and a Projector, is it possible to switch from component out to Svid/composite, or are they both on at the same time?

My Speakers:
    My fronts and centre are B&W's ("cc6 centre" and "older 600 fronts" as far as I can remember) and my rears are these cruddy TEAC sats (might be worth upgrading while I'm at it. And I also use a Cerwin Vega Passive subwoofer that I have connected to an old Technics Stereo Amp, which is fed a signal from the old Sony's LFE out.

I'm thinking of ordering in the next couple of days

TIA

2. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ...any takers?

3. EdR

EdR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd been thinking about the 3803 myself recently due to the component switching + good feedback I'd heard about it. I went to audition it against a HK5550 a couple of weeks ago and found the decision to buy the HK very easy to make based on sound quality - the Denon was very good with movies, as was the HK, however with music the HK was far superior (to my ears, anyway!)

I'm happy to be corrected, however as I understand it the Denon does not convert from component to S-video, so you would have to have all your component devices connected via an additional method to output to a TV as well as your PJ (I'm having to do this using S-Video to a Pro V + connected to my PC's TFT screen as well as outputing S-video + Component to my PJ).

Probably can't go too far wrong with either of them, but don't be surprised to be buying more cables once you start setting it up!!!

4. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    great, thanks for the help. I've just ordered myself a silver 3803 for £660. Should get it on Wednesday. I'll worry about cables, when things don't work as I have planned :D

thanks again

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm sure the 3803 will sound better then your 930 in general but I reckon the biggest difference you'll hear will be between bog standard prologic and Pro Logic 2. Its night and day. TBH when I replaced my 930 with a sony 1080 I expected that adding EX and a rear centre would be the most noticable difference. In fact it was DPL2. Superb!!

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I just upgraded from 930 to 3803. I'm over the moon. Sound quality is much improved. SACD & DVD-A sound very impressive.

7. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jus - Ive got the 930 currently and was looking at the same upgrade. just wondering what speakers are you running currently.
    If you compared like for like i.e 5.1 from the 930 to the denon 3803 would you say there was a noticable difference with that. I know the DPLII and 6.1/7.1 are what makes this upgrade, but I was wondering about a more head to head affair.
    cheers

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Speakers are Cerwin Vega FL&FR. Def Tech centre and Def tech rears. I always thought I was missing detail and blamed it on the big floor standing dance music speakers. I plan to change them to Def Tech's eventually....and also get a compact sub...Velo SPL800 is on my shopping list. I also have a SACD & DVD-A capable Pio 565 dvd player.

I bought the thing for the audio delay (sync the prog scan picture with the sound track). I haven't used the DPLII and the 6.1/7.1 yet. I'm waiting for curtains to be delivered and fitted on Thursday. I can't really use my projector until then. I have had the amp a week and am using it for music and much as I can.

So far I've listened to :

DTS 5.1 20bit: Marvin Gaye, Police - Hits and Sting Brand New Day.

DVD-A: Metallica, Eric Capton&BBKing.

SACD: Pink Floyd DSOTM, Herbie Hancock

All sounded much more detailed and clear. Like I had removed a thick curtain between me and the speakers. I've also listened to a number of CD's. All sprang into life like never before :D. Especially with the 5.0 setting on. I know some people hate music coming from all speakers but I thought it was great.

It's definitely the best £670 I've spent on HC.

I realise some of this sounded a bit cheesy. I don't work for Denon. I'm just gob smacked at the difference between my old 930 and 3803.

I'll also be connecting my XBOX and GC to the amp and proj on Thursday. I've had them connected to my TV in the other room for the last few weeks so can't wait to get back on a 7ft screen and full sound. :D

9. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    jus - thanks for that, think I'll go for that demo in the near future

10. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Another massive plus for me, which I forgot to mention , is that the 3803 has a much better volume range. On my sony I only seemed to use about 1/5th of the volume dial. With the denon the increments are much more smaller. I used to have to tap my pronto first one way then the other to get the volume right...not any more with the 3803 :) Minor I know but it used to annoy the pants off me...especially late at night.

11. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah JUS, I'm with you on that one. I hated the fine tapping I had to do on the Pronto, just to get the right level!

I've had my 3803 for a day now, and it is a big jump in quality over the Sony 930. I quite enjoyed playing games in the 5.1 Stereo mode, it really wraps you in the sound. Playing Tiger Woods 2004, at one point I seriously couldn't tell if the thunder I was hearing was on the game or outside (turns out it was the game, as I was playing golf in the rain right after it)

Had a nightmare with the Coax spdif from my HCPC, something like a 3 second lip sync issue, that wasn't there on the 930. I worked around it by installing Reclock on the PC (works ok for NTSC, not tried PAL yet)

JUS - Is it possible to rename the devices on the display? For example, on the 930 I renamed DVD to Xbox. Just a tiny thing, but kind of cool

12. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Not sure mate. I think you can rename.

The curtains are up in my front room (cinema room :D) now so I start playing for real tonight.

Jus.