Upgrade from Sony 900

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just got a plasma screen, and am wondering about upgrading my Sony 900 DVD.

The main reason for doing this would be to use PAL progressive output, but I would occasionally use NTSC progressive as well.

I have been told that any progressive player will outperform my non-progressive Sony, even the cheap supermarket ones, and I will only notice the downgrade in quality if I switch to interlaced output.

Is this the case in people's experience? What prog scan players are recommended?

The Sony DVP Ns 900 is still avery good dvd player by any standards. The build and picture quality is exceptional, principally becuase sony wanted to Introduce SACD to the masses and they used the 900 as the vehicle to do so back in 2001.

Even though it does not output progressive scan, the interlaced image it output is probably much better than the supermarket cheapos.

However, good as they sony maybe, it has been overtaken by events. Simply put, with a plasma screen capable of progressive scan, you need one of the new generation dvd players with both PAL/NTSC progressive scan.

I can suggest a few players like the denon 2200,denon 2900,pioneer 868,pioneer 668, pioneer 565 etc which basically covers budget players all the way to expensive.

However, if you like sony and want to keep things sony, why not try the Sony 930 which is capable of both PAL/NTSC Prog San.

Prog scan which improve the picture on your plasma incredibly.

I have the denon 2900 and it's a smashing players especially in prog scan mode.

Thanks for the advice.

I will try out some of these players. Do you find that prog scan causes lip sync problems?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom