upgrade from sky+ to HD..which box and connectivity

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by marky2027, Feb 9, 2009.

1. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right I will apologise if I sound amateurish but here goes. Have had sky+ for couple of years and seriously thinking about upgrading to HD. When I switched to sky+ we had a nightmare with thomson Boxes and ended up with 3 boxes. Our third box is a Pace. It's nice and quiet (the thomson sounded like the space shuttle taking off!!) and have had no probs. I'm wary about going to HD in case of similar problems. I know you can't really choose the box but which one is best and which one do I try and avoid?
    Do you get the HDMI lead or do you have to provide your own?
    For existing customers is there an installation charge or is it free?
    How do I connect it to my home theatre kit to get 5.1? It's a Sony DAV-DZ230. It has scart,HDMI and co-ax output.

2. Slider09

Slider09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I chose mine. I asked the enginner what he had in his van. I asked if I could have a Samsung and that's what I got.

HDMI cable comes in the box.

£30, unless you also take out Multiroom, then it is free.

Optical audio from the HD box into your amp. HDMI output from the HD box is stereo only.

3. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right optical from HD box connects to what on my amp?

4. Slider09

Slider09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Optical input.

5. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674

According to the DZ230's manual, it doesn't have an optical input. Nor does it have a digital coaxial input - so you'll find that you won't be able to get 5.1 from your Sky HD box onto this system. The only way of getting 5.1 on this system is from the built-in DVD player.

6. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well that's a bit of a bummer!! There's no kind of adaptor or cable to run from optical to HDMI I suppose??

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  7. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    That's the problem with a lot of all-in-one kits - the connectivity on them is usually very limited.

Again, you're out of luck as the HDMI on the unit is an output only. It is designed to output audio and video from the system's built-in DVD player to your TV, and won't act as an input in any way.

Did you have the system setup before so that you could have the TV audio coming through the speakers? The scart cable connected between your TV and the DZ230 can act as an audio input if the TV supports this essentially allowing you to watch TV and have the audio play through the system's speakers. Although only in stereo, you'd still get your PS3 to play through the sound system.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  8. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got it set up via scart lead to get sound from TV. Coronation street in pro logic II... hot pot...hot pot!!!! Anyway which box should I go for and which one should I avoid coz sky+ was nightmare!!

9. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    I can't really say what the differences are between the different boxes - I got a Samsung when I upgraded to HD a couple of months ago and that's all I've had experience with.

I've had no major problems with the box itself - just one or two freezes when using the planner to record, but that's all. I did have an issue with certain channels breaking up but that was an alignment problem with the dish.

As for "noise", my box is definitly louder than what I had before, but I upgraded from a regular Sky box and I can only assume that what I hear is normal (the whirr from the HDD?). Not exactly a space shuttle taking off anyway. ;)